My Computer Will Not Boot

c_norris1989 12:21 30 May 05

I just bought an AMD mainboard to replace my old one, I personally can't stand AMD, but I bought this one because it was at the right price, at a car-boot sale. I'm pretty sure it's not damaged but I can't get it to work, I've put RAM in it, a decent graphics card, a floppy drive and plugged in a keyboard but when I turn it on, nothing appears on my monitor. I've tried two different graphics cards, even one old PCI one, to see if it is the AGP slot that is at fault. It came with a stick of PC133 RAM, and in the manual it says that it will work with PC100 as well. So I tried some PC100 RAM to see if the PC133 RAM was broken, but it still wouldn't work (I've not got any other PC133 RAM). I've no idea whether the processor works, but the guy who sold it me charged me enough for it and asured me that it worked fine. The power supply I originally tried was 90 watt but I decided that that was too weak and it now has a 250 watt one, but still won't work. I've tried resetting the BIOS, with the jumper but I don't know if I did it right, I just changed the jumper and put power to the computer then left it for 20 seconds. It just sits there when you turn it on and I've no idea whether it's even getting past the power-on-self-test. I will be very grateful if someone can help me. Thanks.

Technotiger 12:32 30 May 05

Hi, unless you know the guy, or at least know that he is a Regular PC-bits seller at that particular boot-sale, then I would guess that most likely you have been well and truly done - sorry.

Cheers.

Completealias 12:36 30 May 05

There is some good advice in this thread click here but be prepared for the possibility that you have been sold a dodgy mobo

c_norris1989 13:49 30 May 05

The thing is, the guy wasn't even prepared to take any offers, which led me to believe that he knew it to be good.

Completealias 13:54 30 May 05

Buying second hand pc bits can be dodgy at the best of times at least if you purchase them from a shop you have some form of comeback should they turn out to be faulty.

At the end of the day you took a risk and by the looks of it you could well of ended up with a dodgy mobo sorry

Did you try the advice listed in the other thread the first piece will at least let you know if you have a dodgy mobo for sure if you do then there really isn't anything that can be done if not then we can try and see what can be sorted.

The other possibility is the CPU is faulty

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 30 May 05

250 watt is still very weak for a power supply.

More info on motherboard make and model may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…