My computer turns itself off

Tony-255154 21:22 10 Sep 03

i have a 950MHz Duron based computer running Windows ME. i have only recently upgraded to ME from 98SE, but i still had the same problem.
My computer turns itself off whenever it wants.
it mainly happens whilst i am playing games or watching DVD's, which are both CPU intensive.

i would like some help, but if i can't do anything about it, i'm gonna just wipe my Hard Drive, and re-install Windows from scratch

Djohn 21:30 10 Sep 03

If this is only happening when you are pushing the CPU, it may be due to heat problems. Next time this happens, then on reboot tap the DEL key, go into BIOS and check the temperature of your CPU and system. j.

Seadog 23:14 10 Sep 03

I had a similar problem with an Athlon 1200, does the machine restart or just switch itself off?
I ended up basically renewing everything CPU, m/board, ram, etc, but my problem turned out to be a faulty hard drive! Formatting seemed to cure the problem for a while but then it came back. (I formatted the drive when fitting the new m/board and such) I now have no problems (and a nearly new computer!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…