My computer showing non-existent drive

Sapins 20:25 25 Nov 05

After a complete failure due to faulty RAM and a re-install of XP Home + SP2 on a new IDE Hard Drive, labeled "C" I now have an extra hard drive showing as G:\ when I click on it I get a message:

G:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

I have a second HDD installed which is labeled "F". Both "C" and "F" are working and can be accessed normally.

Can anyone tell where this came from and how do I get rid of it?

woodchip 20:30 25 Nov 05

It's not DVD is it?

Totally-braindead 20:30 25 Nov 05

Have you tried removing it in device manager in control panel, assuming you're 100% sure it isn't one of your drives which has been renamed for some reason.

User-312386 20:32 25 Nov 05

have you Alcohol 120 or another mounting programme installed?

Sapins 09:45 26 Nov 05

Hi all, sorry for the delay I tried posting last night but got timed out.

It's not a DVD, It isn't listed in device manager and I haven't got Alcohol 120 or another mounting programme installed. I can't delete it as there is no option to do so, I'll have a look in "Manage disc's" to see if it is in there.

Sapins 09:46 26 Nov 05

Just checked Manage disc's and it's not listed in there !

Gongoozler 10:21 26 Nov 05

Is the second hard drive the original one from the computer, perhaps with a hidden restore partition?

LivEviL 10:22 26 Nov 05

i know this sounds stupid but u havent got a printer or another card reader attached? coz they come up saying they have a drive when there isnt a card there! and they say 'is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect' because there isnt any card there! is there the little usb icon in ur tray? if so right clik it and then click stop then stop the device thats there!

Sapins 10:45 26 Nov 05

It is the original *second* hard drive and has never been partitioned.
LivEviL. I have an all in one connected to a USB port and an internal card reader, but, these were connected and working ok before the crash. This drive is shown in the hard disk drives in My Computer.

Gongoozler 08:38 27 Nov 05

Hi Sapins. If you remove the second hard drive, does the G: drive disappear as well? What are your D: and E: drives? Have you used the drive makers software (Maxblast for Maxtor drives) to see what partitions you have?

It's interesting to see that your problem was initially caused by faulty RAM. I had exactly the same problem myself last week. Blue screen, the computer wouldn't even let me boot from the cd drive to reformat the hard drive. I eventually had to fit it as slave in another computer to reformat it. The faulty RAM was consigned to the bin, I can only think that it had corrupted the MBR on the drive.

Sapins 09:16 27 Nov 05

I'll have a go at removing the second drive later today and post back. D and E are my DVD and DVD ROM drives.

Crucial are going to replace the RAM, I only bought them in August this year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…