Is my computer safe?

rose3 17:19 31 Mar 10

Hi there,

Please bear with me as I am not fantastic with computers. Basically, I found out recently that someone I trusted had installed software on my computer so that they could access my files from their home computer and also they managed to find out my passwords to email accounts etc and had been going through my personal things. When I found this out I gave my pc to someone to have a look at and they have told me that they think it is fine now. However I am obviously still very wary everytime I use the computer now. My daughter has had a look at running processes and start-up applications and has run various scans etc and we were wondering if you could tell us what ALG.EXE is in the processes in task manager and if it is safe? The description on processlibrary online said that this allows other computers access even if there is a firewall enabled, but we don't want to start deleting vital files.

Also do you know of any other programmes we could use to check the safety of the computer and finally put my mind at rest.

Thank you very much,

Linda

Mr Mistoffelees 17:24 31 Mar 10

Take a look at this click here

rawprawn 17:27 31 Mar 10

click here
Safe
use malwarebytes to scan click here

Technotiger 17:29 31 Mar 10

The alg.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In all other cases, alg.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!

AmyLee3 17:33 31 Mar 10

Thank you for your responses, I will take a look at that now.

Also do you know how to retrieve passwords for files as the person who had access to my computer has changed the passwords to some of my important documents and I now cannot get into them. They are mainly zip files.

Thank you.

AmyLee3 17:34 31 Mar 10

P.S. sorry the post above is from Linda's daughter.

rose3 17:38 31 Mar 10

Thank you for your responses, I will take a look at that now.

Also do you know how to retrieve passwords for files as the person who had access to my computer has changed the passwords to some of my important documents and I now cannot get into them. They are mainly zip files.

Thank you.

Sorry for the copy but my daughter was logged into her account at the time

Technotiger 17:43 31 Mar 10

click here install the Stand alone English version. Then run the program and click on Secrets or Passwords in the left-hand column, this may (or possibly may-not) show your passwords.

The free version I think calls it Secrets - the paid for version calls it Passwords and shows more!

alB 17:48 31 Mar 10

It might be worth checking that remote assistance is turned off too click here ...alB

rose3 18:39 31 Mar 10

Thank you technotiger. This programme was good and it showed me passwords for email accounts and internet explorer but not sure how I can see passwords to files on the computer, like zip files and word documents? Any ideas?

The ALG.EXE was in system32 so is safe thank you. And remote assistance was turned off. Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 31 Mar 10

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…