My computer reboots when I try to download files

lurko64 00:40 29 Apr 04

I have Win98 SE.
AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz processor.
Asus A7N266-VM Motherboard with NVidia onboard sound and graphics and 128mb MSI AGP MS-Starforce Nvidia Fx 5600 graphics card.
I have McAfee Virusscan V. 8.0 Build 8.027 and up to date and Mcafee Firewall V. 4.0 and Internet Explorer 6.1.
I have problems downloading files.
I tried to download a funny mpeg and my computer screen went black, then it rebooted itself.
Is it a virus? Has my Internet Explorer being corrupted. It happens only when I'm online and trying to download some files.
Should I Uninstall Internet Exlplorer, or Reinstall?
Is there a way to solve the problem without having to reformat my harddisk and install Win98 all over again? I would be grateful for any help on the matter. Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 09:17 29 Apr 04

Try a different browser; Mozilla Firefox is good. Or perhaps a download manager - eg star downloader.

Xevious 09:48 29 Apr 04

try getting stinger, and run it click here

i know you can't download, but try get it from another pc...?

mezzanine 13:31 29 Apr 04

if your using a usb modem to connect to the net especially a broadband modem, it's most likely to be a power issue, try a powered usb hub, if not using usb modem, then ignore this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…