My Computer problem

bpzoom 00:26 08 Jan 05

Last October I posted a problem where when I click either Windows Explorer or My Computer to reveal the left hand tree showing My Computer and each of the drives, I am unable to access any of the folders.The solution provided on this forum was to go through Start, Run, then SFC /scannow and have the Win XP Home CD ready if called for. The aim was I believe to repair IE. I recall it worked.
I now have a repeat of the same problem, so I ran SFC /scannow and it called for the original XP CD as it required certain files. I was then frightened to death by an announcement that the Windows version on my PC is a later version than on the original CD and was I really serious in overwriting the newer version. I managed to stop the process and abandoned it. Since October I have installed SP2 from a CD. Can anyone tell me if in order to cure the original problem I am supposed to run this process with the SP2 CD in place of the original XP CD?

bpzoom 01:21 08 Jan 05

An update on before is I have tried the SP2 CD after running SFC /scannow and it said it was the wrong CD, please load the original XP HOme CD. Back to square one. Do I allow the process to overwrite my SP2 version on the PC? An article 318378 on the Microsoft site for IE repair says that SP1 users may be asked to load that CD!

ICF 06:33 08 Jan 05

Can you not do as it asks then install SP2 again?

bpzoom 10:49 08 Jan 05

Thanks, yes I suppose that might be an option. Being one of those who survived the installation of SP2 unscathed, maybe I am a little nervous of doing it again. Do you think a download of IE6 might correct the problem instead?

VoG II 10:52 08 Jan 05

I suggest that you read click here

bpzoom 12:39 08 Jan 05

Thanks, I printed off the said document and identified what appeared to be the solution to avoid being asked for the original CD ROM. I copied the folder I386 from the original XP CD into an address C:\I386, which I hope means it is in the root. I altered the relevant source path entry registry in registry as directed to C:\ from the previous D:\. Rebooted and reran Scannow. Same result, it called for the original XP CD. To get out of that I have to hit cancel about 6 times until it gives up.
There were already several folders called I386 on the C drive anyway, called
C:\windows\driver cache
Don't know where I go from here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…