My computer power doesn't come on.

khaiiia 20:37 14 May 03

Hi, i bought a Tiny computer nearly 4 years ago, and didn't have any major problem until now.

My neice was playing yesterday and it automatically switched off.

I tried switching the power off in the mains and turning it back on but nothing happens except the green power light and the red hard drive light coming on for a millisecond and then going.

First I thought it was the power supply unit but after going to Computer World, they said they don't sell the old power units anymore, but it could be the motherboard. I also went to PC World and Watford Electronics and they don't know what it could be.

I woud be grateful if anybody can give me suggestions as to what it could be. Thanks.

bobbyc 21:35 14 May 03

i had a similar prob turend out to be the on switch . easy to repair. on the tiny that i had

eccomputers 00:02 15 May 03

I didnt think any of their machines were still existing :)
I presume you have the old AT power supply and if you try Maplins then they still have them. HOWEVER, if you have a green light on the front panel then the power supply is working and the motherboard is alive. I can tell you from experience, the biggest problem from TINY machines are the cooling fans going down. Did you notice any wierd noises leading up the the shutdown? were you getting any blue window screens? You dont say, but are you getting anything on the monitor at all?
When you switch the pc on, is the fan turning on the processor? if not, its cooked and being so old, you wont get a replacement now.

khaiiia 20:31 15 May 03

Bobbyc, How did u repair the on switch?

khaiiia 20:42 15 May 03

I did have a slight problem with the cooling fan, when it sometimes use to stop turning but i use to poke one of the blades to get it going again and sometimes it use to make wierd noises but that was about 1 and a half years ago. I didnt hav anymore problems with the fan since though.

The monitor goes on standby straight away as the computer doesn't com on, so nothing on the screen.

The fan on the processor doesn't come on either.

If the processor is cooked does that mean i have to change the whole motherboard? Also would i lose anything from my hard drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5