My Computer Partition Magic disagreement

Catastrophe 10:22 30 Nov 06

E, which is a separate HDD, shows three files complete with all sub folders and files, all of which are accessible and functional.

However, in Partition Magic, it is shown as unallocated 57,231.5 MB.

This is not a problem as I am moving the contents via the network but I am interested to know if this is common of if anyone else has seen this.

stlucia 12:25 30 Nov 06

Is E an external HDD? I've only seen similar -- i.e. PM not displaying contents correctly -- if the external drive was powered up after PM had been launched. Otherwise PM has worked fine for me.

Catastrophe 12:30 30 Nov 06

Hi stlucia

No, E is one of a three partitions of a single HDD (sorry, I incorrectly said separate HDD above).

xania 12:31 30 Nov 06

How large is the HDD on E. Have you partitioned an external physical HDD into separate partitions?

xania 12:40 30 Nov 06

In the light of your last response, I would suspect that you may have a potential problem with your FAT. However, let's go back to basics.

How large is your HDD - and how large are each of your partitions on that HDD?

Catastrophe 13:19 30 Nov 06

Hi xania

Sorry to confuse you. I have two PCs connected with KVM and I muddled them. Here is the correct information.

HDD1 C: 19.5GB 13.5 used
HDD2 55.8GB 18.8 used
but PM gives 57.23GB unallocated
HDD3 Two partitions
H: 19.1GB 13.1 used
K: 19.1GB 17.1 used

XP FAT32

Catastrophe 13:22 30 Nov 06

"Have you partitioned an external physical HDD into separate partitions?" No. Have not had an external connected to this PC for months. Backup through network.

I have just successfully copied 18.6GB from E: through the network, so there is no problem. Just thought it strange.

:)

Catastrophe 13:30 30 Nov 06

Eeeek!

Belarc reports 12.44GB total and 12.44GB free!

It is PM 5.0 on this PC by the way.

Catastrophe 13:39 30 Nov 06

Sorry! Ignore that. KVM again. Won't do it again.

Belarc is OK and reports all S.M.A.R.T. healthy.

xania 12:28 01 Dec 06

So PM is reporting tat you have more unallocated than the size of the HHD itself. Is this drive compressed?

jimv7 12:40 01 Dec 06

I could be wrong but I think you need a newer version of partition magic at least version 7 or 8 to use with xp.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…