"My Computer" opening on boot

kangawallafox 22:45 03 May 04

Hi all,
A friend is having a niggling little problem in that every time he boots his computer (running windows xp pro) My computer automatically opens.
I have checked the start tab in msconfig and can recognise nothing there that would indicate it points to my computer.
He also has system mechanic 4 pro which shows all applications that start on boot up and there's nothing showing there either.
Can anyone tell me how we could go about stopping this???
It's not a big problem, just annoying.... :-)

GaT7 23:04 03 May 04

Did your friend recently install some new software?

I had a similar problem when I installed AOL 8.0 from a 'dodgy' disc. When I uninstalled & reinstalled from a different disc the problem went away.

kangawallafox 00:04 04 May 04

He was having problems with ACDSee which another friend uninstalled and reinstalled for him. (but I can't see how that would cause the "my computer" screen to open on bootup, as I've reinstalled acdsee for him before with no ill effects)
Any time this other "friend" touches his computer I get called on to help fix many new problems. But my friend feels bad if he tells this other person not to help.... :-)

gudgulf 00:21 04 May 04

Is he running xp? If so a simple sytem restore might do the trick.

GaT7 00:23 04 May 04

If Restore doesn't do the trick...

Sometimes strange things happen when a sw install goes wrong. Try uninstalling ACDSee & see if the problem persists. If the problem is now solved, it's probably the ACDSee. Try/d'load another copy of ACDSee. Install it - this time after shutting down ALL running programs or in cleanboot conditions.

Is it a retail or trial version of ACDSee? If it's a trial & it's causing problems, I'd suggest trying the excellent XnView - click here which is freeware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…