My computer keeps crashing please help!

shadaboot27 16:45 23 Dec 14
Answered

Hi, I recently bought a custom built gaming PC which was only about 3 months old when I bought it. It has been working perfectly since I bought it until recently. I installed a new 2TB HDD into the computer and I had to unplug the inner power cables, sata cables and ram to install it. I put it all back together and it was all working fine for a few days. But now it sometimes crashes, the screen goes black and then the computer restarts. It seems to happen once a day. And today is the third day in a row that it has happened. After the crash once windows has loaded up again it says:

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1169

Additional information about the problem: BCCode: 124 BCP1: 0000000000000000 BCP2: FFFFFA80062EE6E8 BCP3: 0000000000000000 BCP4: 0000000000000000 OS Version: 617601 Service Pack: 1_0 Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem: C:\Windows\Minidump\122314-32697-01.dmp C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-1152020-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online: click here the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline: C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Here are the computer specs:

OS Windows 7 Ultimate

MSI - 760gm am3+ motherboard

AMD - fx 4350 quad core black edition 4.2 ghz Proccossor

CORSAIR - vengeance 4gb ram (neon blue with cooling fans )

CORSAIR - c430 WATT power supply

XFX HD 7770 - 1gb ddr5 graphics card with amd overdrive software

Can someone please give me any answers to this problem?

Thanks

If

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 23 Dec 14

124 indicates a hargware problem

recheck all cables are fully pushed home, especially fan connectors.

remove and refit the RAM

and see what happens then

Bris 17:45 23 Dec 14

Your graphics card draws 150W max and the CPU 125W which doesnt leave much for all the rest out of a 430W PSU.

My guess is that the additional load of the 2TB HDD is pushing the PSU to the limit.

Try disconnecting everything that isnt essential as an experiment such as your DVD drive and see if that makes any difference.

Run a memory test also.

shadaboot27 22:00 08 Jan 15

Sorry for the late reply, I havent had the time to try fix this problem yet. Im still getting the crashes but I have recently noiteced that it seems to happen when Im watching a youtube video or something, Today I started watching Avatar online and the computer crashed 3 times while watching it. Do you think this could be something to do with the video card? Or could the drivers possibly not be installed properly? if its the PSU would I need to get a new one?

Cheers

wee eddie 22:14 08 Jan 15

600 Watt PSU needed

shadaboot27 23:25 08 Jan 15

I have unplugged my DVD drive, and am going to try continue watching the film and see if it still crashes, if it doesnt crash then I think it's defiantly the PSU

shadaboot27 23:36 08 Jan 15

I tried watching the film again and it crashed 5 mins in even with the DVD drive unplugged, but I dont know exactly how many watts the DVD drive uses though, maybe im still exceeding the wattage of the PSU. If i buy a new one is it an easy thing to replace?

wee eddie 00:56 09 Jan 15

There are plenty of clips on YouTube showing how to do it. Just look up your Case design to see if it is a standard size. Prices range from a few quid to about £60, so plenty of choice

rickf 09:45 09 Jan 15
Answer

almost definitely the psu is not powerful enough. get a 650watt at least.

shadaboot27 10:45 09 Jan 15

Thanks guys. I have an extra 4gb of ram coming in the post, Once I have that I will put it in and also re-install the drivers. Do you think a non genuine version of windows could be causing it?

nickf 11:30 09 Jan 15

certainly will not ne helping . I would also consider that the new HDD could be faulty . It may be worth considering reverting to a different drive . If it is your main or only drive well worth considering a SHDD hybrid drive . will give you a fast load like an SSD without the cost .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…