My computer is ill

JaneAttwood 18:12 28 May 09

It has told me via PC Spyware Dr that it has 4 threats and 34 infections. The Dr says I have to pay to get rid of them. Is there an NHS where i can get free treatment?

Technotiger 18:21 28 May 09

No need to pay - just download and run the One Click Maintenance in this Free program ... click here

VoG II 18:21 28 May 09

Try click here and/or click here - free versions.

Stuartli 18:37 28 May 09

Why visit a private hospital when you can get all the treatment required for free, as Technotiger and VoG™ rightly point out?

bjh 18:37 28 May 09

Better to stick to one thread.... Continuation from...

click here

The two applications that were recommended in that thread, and by Technotiger (Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware) are both free and excellent.

There are many that do the same job but charge you.
There are even more that SAY they'll clean your computer, then bung it up and ask for £££ to solve the problem they have created.

I'd uninstall PC Spyware Doctor (if it will let you), and run those two free ones.

JaneAttwood 18:51 28 May 09

OK - you have to forgive me for opening 2 threads - I didn't realise it was the same problem.

Sp let me tell you waht I did - I followed the advice in the other thread and in this one so now I have all 3 on my computer plues the spyware - you are going to tell me I am an idiot I think. And I spyware is telling me I still have 34 infections.

Do not get fed up of me or I am doomed - help!!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 28 May 09

Sometimes the spyware programs will read each other as infections

remove all BUT malwarebytes and concentrate on what that one tells you.

The rules are:

1 firewall
1 Antivirus
1 realtime spyware scanner + 1 backup scanner

Technotiger 19:02 28 May 09

Did you run the One-click Maintenance as in my response above?

bjh 20:37 28 May 09

You are certainly no idiot - but it does sound like the same problem.

Yes, Fruitbat has the right approach. Run Malwarebytes on its own - a full scan (checkbox on left, then "Scan" button), let it run through, and remove all that it wants. It's good software, and really will only remove nasties. It may ask to restart the computer. Once restarted, I'd run it again - until it finds no infection.

Once it has done all it can, it may then be worth running SuperAntiSpyware. What one missed, the other may find.

PC Tools Spyware Doctor can probably be uninstalled. It's not one of the "nasty" programs, but if you have to pay for it, there's no need.

Post back in this thread when Malwarebytes/SASW gives you a clean bill of health, or if you have further problems.

Can we also check that you are usiong an antivirus program?

JaneAttwood 08:03 31 May 09

This computer hates me - I just typed you a lomg email and in the middle it logged me out. I think it wants to stop you helping me - so I am tyoing faster.

I have unnstalled PC tools
I have unistalled Superantis[yware
I have uninstalled and reinstalled malware and restarted my machine
I still have glary utilities on it from the one click maintenance
The last instruction I got was that the malware could be launched from the icon but I have tried it and when I double click i get an eggtimer for a few seconds and then nothing seems to happen

JaneAttwood 08:05 31 May 09

And I wanted to say - but posted first in case it logged me out again - THANK YOU and I hope the sun is shining on you all

Do you think I should give up and buy a laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now