"my computer" and "explorer" are "not responding"

Itchy Fingers 19:55 19 Nov 03

When I go to "my computer" I get a blank grey screen. When I go to explorer I get a white blank screen with the torch frozen in the centre. I do not have restore enabled so I can't go back. I am using a self built PC with a Full Windows XP Home Edition. Unfortunately the supplier of the software is no longer available and hence MS will not accept my on line query.

Basically I can not access my hard or CD/DVD drives, although the XP CD will start up but I have not taken it further than entering the serial number again.

If I attempt to close down the offending window the screen locks and I get the "not responding message". The cont, alt, Del sends the system in a loop, but some times closes the failed window.

The PC boots from the C drive, be it may very slowly (ten minutes).

I defraged the drive but that made no difference. Nortons does not see a problem.

Peter

BarryKeith 20:20 19 Nov 03

Try doing a reinstall without formatting first, that way you get to keep what is on the drive and should regain access to it.

MichelleC 20:27 19 Nov 03

I agree with BarryKeith.

You can reinstall os over itself. It'll mean reinstalling all updates, but data will be ok. Not sure with xp, but with w2k, booting from os disc:

select install, select install (again), choose os, select repair.

Itchy Fingers 10:55 21 Nov 03

Thank you both for your input, however I did as you suggested (reloaded XP over my existing installation). It took approximately 90 minutes, but didn't correct the problem. I can't say if I need to reinstall the updates. By the way a Repair option did not show itself. Any more suggestions?

Itchy Fingers 21:41 23 Nov 03

I provide the following to help others who may come across this problem.

I was advised by an IT consultant to check if the C drive was still accessible using a DOS like command - it was (C drive OK).

He suggested I unplug all periferals. I did, but no change.

Except for the C drive, I disconnected all internal devices. It worked Explorer would build a directory.

I reconnected every thing in turn, only to eventually find that the onboard USB was no longer working. I am current trying out a PCI USB card (but will change my motherboard and prcocessor next week).

I also found (the next day) my power supplu on/off switch had failed. (Only crackled when turned off) - Which was the chicken and which was the egg? Which ever, the new motherboard, processor and power supply has cost me a packet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…