Is my computer dying ??

Cfor 18:43 03 Jun 03

Please help !
I am experiencing a number of problems with my computer, amongst which are :
Delays in booting-up (if at all), noises coming from inside, system crashing when it never used to, etc etc
Are these indicative of my Hard Drive failing, and if so what remedial measures do I need to take ??
Many thanks from a computer novice !!

Gongoozler 18:56 03 Jun 03

Hi Cfor, Noises from inside your computer can come from any of the cooling fans, (usually the processor fan, power supply fan or in more recent machines the graphics card fan), or from the hard drive. Noises together with boot problems makes it most likely to be the hard drive. Your first priority is to back up all your important data. Next remove the case cover and see if you can confirm where the noise is coming from. My favorite method of doing this is to use a rolled up sheet of paper as a stethoscope. Put one end to your ear and use the other end to localise the source of the noise. If the hard drive is failing you will have to fit a replacement. A 30G drive is about £50 from Dabs (click here) or Ebuyer click here). The way you tackle the replacement depends on you. You can reload windows and your software from their installation disks, or you can use a cloning utility. What I do not advise is waiting until the drive completely fails and the data is unrecoverable.

Valvegrid 18:59 03 Jun 03

Few questions, how old is the machine? what operating system are you using? e.g Windows 98, Windows 2000, can you identify were the noise is comming from? from the disk drive area or from the rear of the machine.

Paul.

Valvegrid 19:00 03 Jun 03

Snap!

Gongoozler 09:44 04 Jun 03

Hi Valvegrid. From your nickname I suspect that you also served your apprenticeship when the nearest thing to an integrated circuit was a double diode triode!

Valvegrid 10:05 04 Jun 03

At least you know when the damned things are working by the glow!

bof:) 14:40 04 Jun 03

Hi All,

Cfor, if you can get onto the net, you could always go to the website of your hard drive manufacturers and see if they have any 'Diagnostic' software.

If they have you could down load it and run it to see if your hard drive is faulty.

Be aware that some diagnostic programs can wipe your hard drive so always bachup all important files before you run them.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…