My computer doesn't boot up. Please Please Help!!

forkudzi 20:52 01 Oct 08

My computer (Toshiba Satellite, running Windows XP Home Edition) doesn't boot up.

When I put it on, it starts until it has asked and I have entered my Password.

After that, it tells me it is "loading my preferences" BUT stays in this mode forever.

I have not added any new hardware or software in over a month before today. Last update was to Firefox.

I must note though that I had not shut the PC in a few weeks. I was always putting it in Hibernate mode.

Please advice.

Thanks

gary2112 21:03 01 Oct 08

ok what you could try is this as you are booting windows xp keep pressing f8
till you get to the options menu ie safe mode and stuff like that click on safe mode loading into windows ,go into Accessories System Tools then system restor .go back back a few weeks if you can to see if this fixes your problem .how ever it does sound like like a trojen thats doing the rounds at the moment and to fix this you will need restor to a earler time .dont let the computer connect to the net,then you will need use a diffrent computer download avg anti spywere then load it on your pc the lates one you can get.

birdface 21:23 01 Oct 08

I always shut mine down in hibernation mode during the day but shut it down the same way last night.I decided to switch it of at the mains and when I started it this morning it was the same as yours.I had to switch it off using the front button.When I restarted it, it stopped at start normally or in safe mode so started it normally and it worked Ok.You could try last good configuration or system restore in safe mode.

Terminus90 23:27 01 Oct 08

Have you tried pressing F8 at startup, and choose " last known good configuration " from the menu.

MarvintheAndroid 08:38 02 Oct 08

Sometimes just getting the system to start up and shut down completely - in safe mode - is enough to fix these problems.

Marv

forkudzi 09:52 02 Oct 08

Guys thanks for all your advice so far.

Unfortunately, all of these haven't worked yet.

MarvintheAndroid 22:40 05 Oct 08

You could try doing a repair using your windows cd.
Marv

Terminus90 18:11 20 Nov 08

boot into safe mode (press F8 at startup) and restore your system to a date before things started going wrong

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…