"my computer" appears on start up

steelyglint 20:15 21 May 06

My PC has XP SP2 on it and I have the BTyahoo browser as my default. When i start up the PC and login under my name the "my computer" window always opens (it didn't use to). In additon the bar where you enter the website address no longer holds any details of sites I visit , other than PCadvisor and one other! The third niggle is that often when i click on a window to maximise itself half of it disappears. I have to use the drop down menus to restore it and then maximise to get it to do it properly. Any ideas how i can get rid of the "my computer" window? any ideas why the browser is suffering from amnesia?
Is it anything to do with the registry and are there any tools I can use to sort it out?

Mike V

VoG II 20:24 21 May 06

1) click here

2) repair IE click here

3) run SFC click here

Diversion 20:28 21 May 06

Look in your startup program to make sure My Computer isn't in the Startup list if it is Delete it. Right click on the top task bar to make sure there is a tick at the side of the Address Bar.

steelyglint 20:44 12 Jul 06

The explorer fix worked....cant seem to solve the mycomputer issue. It pops up every time.

I don't know how to make a copy of my registry or how to reinstate a copy if I mess up but i cant see anything wrong with it.

Any further tips would be appreciated

ade.h 20:54 12 Jul 06

Taking the "System32" fix and adjusting it to deal with My Computer should fix it (search the MSKB for that article) as it's a related issue, or use Fruitbat's fix in that other thread.

andy8491 23:01 20 Aug 06

have you checked in start, all programs, and startup to check see if my computer is there. if it is then simply remove it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…