MY CD-RW WON'T WORK!!

diddi.ash 13:21 17 Oct 04

My CD-RW stopped working a while ago now, i recently looked into "my computer" and noticed that the DRIVE D: was missing, which is my CD-RW, so thinking that it was broke, i bought a new CD-RW and installed it, but the computer did not register a new device! so i went into "ADD HARDWARE" but the computer said there was none.

So i thought as my DRIVE E:(cd-rom) worked ok, i would swap the IDE,etc cables around, but still the computer hasn't registered a new device for the new CD-RW. And the DRIVE E:(cd-rom) still works, so it can't be faulty connections or leads!
I have looked in device manager, and there is only the CD-ROM.
I am not that computer literate so if anyone could help me, step by step guidance would be most appriciated. thankyou.
I am running on windows XP

diddi.ash 13:24 17 Oct 04

would putting the windows XP disc in, help?

Graham ® 13:26 17 Oct 04

Have you set the jumpers on the back of the devices? Set the writer to master (MS) and the rom to slave (SL).

Graham ® 13:27 17 Oct 04

No.

diddi.ash 13:30 17 Oct 04

please explain how to do this?

Graham ® 13:30 17 Oct 04

Here's a picture click here

diddi.ash 13:33 17 Oct 04

I don't think that i have this connected, i will have to check?

diddi.ash 13:34 17 Oct 04

Can i do this with the computer on?

Graham ® 13:42 17 Oct 04

No, turn it off. You need to gain access to the rear of the drives. I'm assuming they are both on the same IDE cable. You will see a set of pins near the cable socket, with a small black 'jumper' which connects two pins together. This jumper must be in the correct position on each drive.

Stuartli 14:29 17 Oct 04

If it was working previously, either a cable or lead has become loose or dislodged, either at the rear of the drive or at the motherboard - you may have inadvertently caught a lead or cable whilst doing some work in the case.

Otherwise the rewriter's laser unit may have gone kaputt, especially as lifespan is not exceptional for such drives.

Another point - if both drives are shown in Device Manager in Safe Mode then loose or dislodged cables are the most likely cause.

the lone ranger 14:37 17 Oct 04

I had a similar problem and it was to do with the registry. Have you removed any 'Roxio' software recently, like Easy CD creator or something?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…