my cd rw dosen't work, HELP!

diddi.ash 15:00 11 Oct 04

My cd-rw suddenly stopped working, i have looked in "my computer" and DRIVE D: is not on there, so i bought a new cd-rw and replaced it with the old thinking it was not working, but the new one has not come up either,i have put the disc in and tryed add new software but nothing any ideas please what i have done!
I am running on windows XP

JonnyTub 15:07 11 Oct 04

try replacing you ide cable first.

diddi.ash 15:09 11 Oct 04

ok, i will try that first, thanks

Stuartli 15:30 11 Oct 04

The most likely reason is a loose or disconnected cable or lead.

Check in Device Manager in Safe Mode - if the drive and your other drives are listed then it will be a loose or faulty cable.

Otherwise try Removing the rewriter in Device Manager and then rebooting to allow Windows to install the basic CDROM driver again (this is all that is required for CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters).

It's burning programs such as Nero that do the work...:-)

diddi.ash 16:14 11 Oct 04

I cant remove it from device manager cause its not there, thats my problem the computer is not registering it!

woodt 17:09 11 Oct 04

You said you tied ading new software was that judt a slip? Have you tried 'add new hardware' to try and force XP to look for the drive? Or you could look here click here.

Stuartli 10:54 12 Oct 04

Have you checked in Device Manager in Safe Mode yet?

The secondary IDE connections are the most likely cause - either they are not fitted correctly or are not firmly installed at the drive and/or motherboard.

If it is your only drive it should be set as Master using the jumpers at the back of the drive. If you have a CD/DVD-ROM drive and the rewriter, the ROM drive should be the Slave and the rewriter the Master.

diddi.ash 19:03 12 Oct 04

you said "Have you checked in Device Manager in Safe Mode yet?"

Not sure how to do that!

I have put a new IDE cable in and it still dosent come up in "my computer", all i have is drive C: drive CD drive E: floppy A:
there is no drive D:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…