my cd drive has stopped working (code 41) ??

paulismad4it 15:17 16 Mar 04

hello there thank you for your help
i have a sony vaio laptop and my cd drive worked fine but one day i turned it on and my cd drive has dissapered it says the device was loaded succesfully but the hardware was not found and it mentions code 41. does anyone know what this is and how to fix it. the cd still spins as normal but then nothing happens. i was gonna restore my computer to new but now i cant use the disc i was gonna uninstal and reinstal the cd drive but will i need to use my xp disc for that and can it be done any other way.
help me please !!!!
many thanks

Big Elf 15:20 16 Mar 04

This MS article mentions Code 41 errors and a fix click here

paulismad4it 15:21 16 Mar 04

if it helps im running windows xp home sp1 and my cd drive is a matshita ujda730 dvd/cd-rw.

AndySD 15:25 16 Mar 04

Either

uninstal and reinstal the cd drive

or try

Right Click on My Computer | Properties
Select Hardware Tab | Device Manager

Check for any red X’s or yellow !’s.

If you see any of these, write down the device name for future reference or additional troubleshooting, click on the device and click Uninstall for each one. Allow the system to reboot to test these changes. If you reboot, repeat steps 1 to 3 to return to the Device Manager

If you do not see any red X’s or yellow !’s,

Double-click on IDE ATA/ ATAPI controller

Right click on first entry of Secondary IDE Channel

Click Uninstall.

Allow the system to reboot and re-detect the controller.

Neither should need the cd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…