Is my C drive on it's last legs!

Jak_1 12:39 28 Feb 08

Over the last couple of days everything has slowed to an almost snails pace when opening programs and running AV. Problems with windows explorer not showing pgp drives after they have been opened but other programs do detect the virtual drives and allow me to see the contents. These are on ext drives that do show up in explorer but do not show the the secure volumes when opened in explorer. AVG took over 6 hours to scan just a small part of the c drive through the night before I aborted the scan this morning. Have run all the anti malware progs that I have with nothing untoward and have tried a system restore to no effect, it has restore points but will not restore to any of them even in safe mode. The pc boots normally and conects instantly to the internet. Saving documents has also slowed down in the time it takes to do this.

PC is an Advent AMD Athlon 64 bit running XP-Home SP1 with 1.5 GB RAM and two x 160 GB internal drives. I was thinking of getting another 160 GB drive and cloning this one with Acronis True Image just in case. I keep no data files on the C drive just the program files that could be re-installed at any time. The PC came with a recovery cd as opposed to a full windows CD, hence the reasoning for cloning the C drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jak_1 12:45 28 Feb 08

Have run CCleaner to clear out all temp files etc, the C drive is only at 50% used with the system and program files and no strange noises coming from the pc to suggest hdd failure imminent. The only data files I have on the c drive are not important and and could delete them without any loss to me.

Jak_1 14:20 28 Feb 08

Strange, it seems that firefox was eating up most of the cpu memory at 90% usage, when I closed firefox things ran at normal speed and my secure volumes appear in explorer now.
Still think I will get a new drive and clone the C drive though just to be on the safe side.

Pamy 15:45 28 Feb 08

Go to the makers site and download their diagnostic software Usually fits on a floppy disk

Jak_1 17:41 28 Feb 08

Thanks Pamy, I will check that one out.

Jak_1 20:42 28 Feb 08

Diagnostics found nothing, as all seems well again and no strange noises I will mark this as resolved. Will get a new hdd though and clone the c drive to it as a backup just in case.

Jake_027 20:47 28 Feb 08

Have you tried installing SP2, I believe this addressed drive issues especially those over 127GB. Although I'm not 100%, but it might be worth installing SP2 for security anyway.

HTH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…