My broadband has gone all slow!

Rufus Tanner 20:23 27 Feb 04

I'm currently with Tiscali broadband (ADSL 256k). For the past 7 - 10 days the internet has been painfully slow, probably slower than a standard 56k connection. The two green lights on the modem are always on and the connection icon tells me i'm connected at 2.3Mbps. Everything seems to be normal but most webpages are taking an eternity to load up. I've run Norton and it doesn't detect any viruses.
Anyone any ideas?
Many Thanks.

Gongoozler 20:42 27 Feb 04

Try the Mcafee speedometer to see what your real connection speed is click here

Rufus Tanner 20:47 27 Feb 04

The speedometer told me I'm connected at 66.72 Kbps. That doesn't sound very good does it. Is my modem lunch?

canard 20:48 27 Feb 04

Try speeding up your PC by emptying temp internet files and defragging. Did you perhaps install something that is either using up tons of RAM or disagrees with your set up?

Gongoozler 20:57 27 Feb 04

Also check that no-one's plugged an unfiltered device into your telephone sockets.

TommyRed 21:17 27 Feb 04

That speedometer really is the business, it's just told me my 56K modem is running at 36.08K no wonder I'm moving to broadband. TR

Gongoozler 21:21 27 Feb 04

My Tiscali 150k broadish band is running at 141.04k, which I don't think is at all bad for just £1 above my old Freeserve Anytime which always gave about 36k.

spuds 22:49 27 Feb 04

There is a problem with Tiscali service. This as been evident over the last few days, and Tiscali have notified its customers on their Status Service tag, and they have stated their engineers are working on the problem.Other posting have been issued on the PCA forums, with people haveing slow down service and problems with email downloading.I am on Tiscali, and it is becoming annoying, especially with emails delivery.

whatchamacallit 22:58 27 Feb 04

I use NTL 150K broadband, speedometer tells me am running at 227k, (well done NTL)

Strawballs 23:06 27 Feb 04

My ntl 150 is running at 240kbps have ntl slipped up?

kjrider 23:07 27 Feb 04

I have heard that if you download too much on Tiscali, they then 'slow you down' for a while to stop you doing too much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…