is my bandwidth restricted?

mrwoowoo 15:36 21 Dec 07

With aol on 1mb as it is all my line supports.
Last few weeks only getting about half a meg or even less when downloading,even with direct/unpopular downloads (just to check).
Speed tests show around 575kbs download(previously around 976(.
Use a thompson speedtouch 330.
can someone explain these diagnostics at all.
ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 44
ReceiveMargin_dB= 27
RxOutputPower_dBm= 0
SendAttenuation_dB= 23
SendMargin_dB= 25
Is it possible that aol are restricting me,and how will i know?

Dipso 15:40 21 Dec 07

What connection speed is your modem currently displaying?

Although you are on the limit for fixed 2 Meg, your line would easily support 7 Meg with ADSL Max BT's up to 8 Meg product.

mrwoowoo 17:54 21 Dec 07

Sorry had to pop out quick.
Always shows 1.1mb
if i do diagnostics with dr speedtouch it fals on the 3rd of the 3 tests.
1. my computer..ok
2. speedtouch...ok
3. I.S.P..... A problem is detected with your isp connection.
Makes me think it's aol restricting me or i might have to reinstall their software(pain in the backside sometimes).
How can i get 8mb on a line that can only physically handle 1mb maximum?I have actually been told by a bt engineer that he is surprised that i can get 1mb due to distance from exchange.

CurlyWhirly 18:21 21 Dec 07

"How can i get 8mb on a line that can only physically handle 1mb maximum?I have actually been told by a bt engineer that he is surprised that i can get 1mb due to distance from exchange."

That's rubbish as I have a longer line than you at 55dB and I get 3 Mb on Max (my current sync is 3616)

To get the full 8128 sync on Max you need an attenuation of 40 dB or below so 44 dB should get you between 6 and 7 Mb on a 'normal' line.

I think that you are on a fixed speed service and if so they you need to ask AOL to put you on a rate-adaptive connection (Max) but beware that you will probably have to enter into another 12 month contract :(

CurlyWhirly 18:27 21 Dec 07

click here is an estimate of the speed that you will get on Max.

You will know your line speed and attenuation (44 dB) but you will also need the downstream
Noise Margin (SNR) figure which you can get from click here

mrwoowoo 19:09 21 Dec 07

thanks for the excellent link.
not hot on this so please bare with my.
what is..
downstream attenuation
and
downstream noise margin(snr)
from this list(if any)
DSLUptime= 764
ErrorredSeconds= 1
LossOfFraming= 1
LossOfLink= 0
LossOfSignal= 1
PhysicalLinkStatus= Up
ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 44
ReceiveMargin_dB= 27
RxOutputPower_dBm= 0
SendAttenuation_dB= 23
SendMargin_dB= 25
TotalBytesReceived= 11861824
TotalBytesSent= 10192271
TotalPacketsReceived= 22521
TotalPacketsSent= 22521
TxOutputPower_dBm= 0
Uptime= 764
ChannelMode= Fast
Layer1DownstreamMaxBitRate= 1152000
Layer1UpstreamMaxBitRate= 288000
WANAccessType= DSL

Dipso 22:14 21 Dec 07

Your downstream margin is displayed as ReceiveMargin_dB= 27 and entering it into the calculator my friend Curly linked to gives the results 5.7-6.5 Meg, so not far off my estimate.

Back to your original question "Is it possible that aol are restricting me,and how will i know?" The AOL software won't be the reason you don't get the full speed. Yes, they could be throttling your connection but only usually do this after excessive use, are you a heavy user?

Are you still in contract with AOL? If not check out some other ISP's, you could upgrade to ADSL Max (up to 8 Meg) at the same time as migrating to a new provider and get the speeds you deserve.

mrwoowoo 23:07 21 Dec 07

many thanks.
I did the test(educated guess) and thats what i got.Still can't understand the diff between adsl max and a normal broadband connection.
Looked at some of the unlimited adsl max deals but are a fair bit dearer than the £14.99 i'm paying aol for 2mb unlimited.
Still something to ponder over.
Thanks again for your time.

Dipso 23:41 21 Dec 07

There are a couple of options for unlimited usage for under £15. Go to this link and check what LLU services are available to you click here Do you have Sky TV? Is Be listed as available at your exchange.

mrwoowoo 23:47 21 Dec 07

Haven't got sky as we have no cable on the island i live on.
talk talk llu is the only one available to me.
£21.00 a month though is not bad.
Got to talk the wife into it as she doesn't want the hassle of changing. )O:!
Lots of trouble last time going from tesco to aol.

Dipso 00:39 22 Dec 07

I wouldn't recommend Talk Talk personally but it's your choice. Do you need unlimited usage or would 30 Gig peak / 300 Gig off peak do as there are a few providers that do this for £19.99?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now