My 533Mhz and 800Mhz RAMs wont work together

irwind 19:41 10 Jan 11

I had 2 x 1GB RAMs on my RAM slots fitting the following specifications:

2 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support unbuffered non-ECC 400/533 MHZ DDR2 memory modules
Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB

One of my RAMs had got corrupted and I wanted to change it. As a 533 Mhz RAM is not available, I went to a local shop and was told a 800Mhz should work fine. When I tried it at home, both 533Mhz and 800Mhz work well individually but not together.

My monitor does not even get a signal. My questions is can they both work together or not.
Thanks for your help and advice

jamesd1981 19:45 10 Jan 11

no memory needs to match pretty exact, ddr type and the mhz frequency.

ams4127 20:35 10 Jan 11

Your memory modules must match exactly, you cannot mix and match. Preferably use the same make when upgrading.

irwind 22:33 10 Jan 11

I will buy a similar RAM tomorrow to match it.

GaT7 22:55 10 Jan 11

The shop was right in thinking it could be compatible, but they really should have confirmed this for you - only takes a minute to visit Crucial click here, input your HP model number & get the results.

In the majority of cases, it just needs to be the same type DDR-DDR, DDR2-DDR2, etc and the same spec in terms of unregistered/unbuffered/non-ECC, etc. The speed (Mhz) doesn't really matter as all RAM is supposed to run at the speed of the slowest.

The reason it doesn't work could be due to a motherboard constraint - e.g. only takes 400/533Mhz RAM with all slots filled. Or, you just needed a setting in the BIOS to get it to work. G

irwind 22:43 13 Jan 11

thanks crossbow. I have bought another identical RAM and it has helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…