Is my 15+ year old camcorder too old ?

pollpott 23:17 29 Oct 05

I have a media center machine with sonic software and i want to capture my old vhs camcorder tapes but i can't get it to detect the camcorder. It is a 15+ years old Sanyo 8mm model VM-EX25P which still works fine.The available settings in the software include composite video which seems the obvious one to choose as this is the label on the socket i have used to connect the camcorder. The other options are PAL_b to PAL_N and Secam_B to Secam_L1. None of this means anything to me, can anyone help?

DieSse 23:55 29 Oct 05

In the UK the TV standard is PAL-I, so that's the one to select in the software.

Your camera will not be *detected* via a composite video link, as there's no detection circuitry associated with such a link. You should just need to play the camera.

Don't forget the sound will be on a different connection.

DieSse 23:56 29 Oct 05

I should have asked - are you sure the composite video socket on your system is an input - mostly they are just outputs, unless you have a capture card.

Bagsey 07:57 30 Oct 05

Have you got an Analogue video capture card. With out it you wont have much luck at getting your video into your computer.

pj123 10:04 30 Oct 05

I am currently transferring my old Beta/VHS tapes to DVD. I use the Pinnacle Dazzle Fusion USB analogue capture unit,(should also work with an analogue camcorder). see: click here

Also, have a look through some of these previous threads on the subject. May be of some assistance to you. click here

Starfox 12:12 30 Oct 05

Snap,I have the exact same model.

You need to use your composite video output connected through one of these click here using the supplied software to edit your videos.

Be aware that it can be a slow process,much quicker to buy a DVD recorder and copy directly onto disc then edit with your pc.

Starfox 12:20 30 Oct 05

P C World do a similar device,the Dazzle DVC-80

click here

pj123 12:57 30 Oct 05

Agree with Starfox that capturing via the computer is very time consuming. eg. a 3 hour VHS tape takes about 7 hours from start to finish.

I now have a Liteon DVD recorder connected to my TV which works in real time. ie. a 3 hour VHS tape takes 3 hours but you cannot edit it other than hitting the pause button during the adverts, which means you have to sit and watch.

pollpott 13:17 30 Oct 05

thanks for all the advice guys, as usual the forum gets it sorted, cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…