Mustek scanner and XP

dodger 22:56 16 Oct 04

I have recently upgraded my PC from win 98 to Xp-pro. My Mustek 600CU scanner worked fine under 98 but XP will not accept the software for the scanner. I visited the Mustek website for an updated driver and the say they do not do a driver for XP but do one for win2000. They suggest downloading their XP tool and the win2000 driver they follow the following instructions:-

1. Start Regedit
2. In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version Rename the key “ProduktName” (Their spelling, not mine).
From Microsoft Windows XP”
Into “Microsoft Windows 2000
3. Install the Mustek driver for windows 2000

I am very wary of tinkering with the registry and wonder if the above procedure is strictly kosher.
I want to keep my current scanner, as it is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Roger

JIM 00:31 17 Oct 04

The spelling is wrong (ProduktName) but apart from that renaming could work with-out any real problems,and it is only "Temporarily" looking at the information i have pasted.(as far as changing the name to win 2000 etc.)You could back up registry first.

Dont know about your scanner operation/installation etc.

Posted by MM on January 20, 2002 at 09:25:53:

In Reply to: Re: Drivers Mustek 6000P for Windows xp posted by Neil Glenister on January 02, 2002 at 09:10:36:

Does a driver for the Mustek 6000P scanner exist for Windows XP ?

in short no. but try this

1. start regedit

2. go to the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\current version

When you click or highlight the folder current version in the right hand side you will see
ProductName.Right mouse Click on ProductName and up will pop a list,choose Modify and click on it and you will see,highlighted Microsoft Windows XP follow the rest below.

change the valve name "product name"

from Microsoft Windows XP

into Microsoft Windows 2000

Click ok in box,close regedit.REBOOT then,

3. install the Mustek driver for Windows 2000 etc.etc.

4. Reboot, go back to regedit start again as above and undo the changes in the registry by changing the "product name" back to Microsoft Windows XP.--Tip(when you open up regedit again,it will take you back auto like to the last place you were)

You can also try the tool that mustek supply on their website at,

click here

Saying all that doger for £25 quid you can have the Mustek 1248 Ub+ Scanner 600 x 1200 dpi for Win xp from,

click here

I would recommend the canon lide range 20 or 30 or 35 from,

click here

Brill:)

JIM 00:37 17 Oct 04

wrong link for canon lide range.Hope this is right.---:)

click here

dodger 19:31 17 Oct 04

Thanks Jim
I'll give it a try and keep my fingers crossed.
Cheers
Roger

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…