must update but can't do it before lockup

jaybee 19:28 04 Oct 03

My daughter-in-law bought a laptop a few months ago running xp home and did not run windows update before getting hit with blaster worm. A patch suppressed the blaster virus but the machine locks up after a few minutes on line. There are, wait for it, no less than 35 critical updates that need to be installed. I want to start with xp service pack 1 but the machine locks up before completion. Is it possible to download sp1 on another machine and burn it to cd then install to my daughter in law's laptop off line? If not, what then. All suggestions welcome except the one with the loaded revolver and bottle of whisky.

Jester2K II 19:34 04 Oct 03

Make sure the virus has gone with Stinger click here

The patch stops it getting on the PC but doesn't remove it if its alreay there.

Download SP-1 click here

PSF 19:46 04 Oct 03

click here

Have a look at this site, download and run the removal tools and then download the critical patch and install it.

You can download these on your pc and then run them on your daughter-in-laws pc.

The service pack 1a can be downloaded onto your pc copied and then installed on another pc.
Use Jester2K II's link above.

jaybee 14:08 05 Oct 03

Stinger removed one virus and found another, the Nachi.worm (never heard of it before ) and afterwards, I was able to deal with the updates, more than 40 in total, without hanging or crashing. Bless you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…