must have 2 hard drives to start -reboots on one

250Sandy 16:53 04 Feb 06

Hi
I have just fitted a new hard drive on my computer and put WinXP pro on one partition. When I set it up I did have 2 drives in the computer. Anyway, once I took the old one out the new one couldn't boot. I reinstalled and all seemed fine until rebooting - it wouldn't. Eventuallly found that ANY other drive made things work ok.
Have changed the ribbon cable and checked the master / slave jumpers, but still can only boot from either drive if there are two drives attached!

Also on the new one every time I try to connect to the Internet, broadband or dialup it reboots the computer - but not on the other disk.
Could this all be a motherboeard prob?

Many thanks
Sandy

woodchip 16:57 04 Feb 06

You can only boot from one disc, normaly C:\ you have to install a dual boot manager to use other drive

250Sandy 18:20 04 Feb 06

Hi,
Thanks, but I'm not trying to boot from both, just have a single hard disk and boot from that - but neither will boot at all unless there is a second drive attached, doesn't matter what OS that one it!!
Cheers
Sandy

woodchip 19:18 04 Feb 06

Fit the drive you have Operating System on this should have the jumper on the back set to master it should be on the end connection if it's a EIDE drive. Start computer go inti BIOS and auto detect the Drives Save and exit BIOS restart and it should boot with one drive

250Sandy 22:44 04 Feb 06

Thanks

yes, have done that. Have even set the bios to have the slave as none - but when the drive has booted I can see that drive's contents.
What ever the setting I still have to have a second drive connected to make the first one boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now