Musicmatch 9 kills Win XP DVD writer access.

TrustNoone 17:09 17 Aug 04

Anyone else suffering with this problem: since installation of Musicmatch 9, my DVD writer is no longer recognised by Win XP.

MMJB happily burns CDs and reads CD RWs, but Win XP stubbornly refuses to look at them: F:\ is inaccessible error is thrown up.

This is v frustrating - I actually have enjoyed the easy drag and drop interface for writing to CDs and DVD with XPs built in burner.

The DVD = HP DVD 200i, my machine is a Hp PAvilion.

The HP site is not helpful, nor is the musicmatch tech support. I have uninstalled then reinstalled the DVD driver. Should I remove the DVD writer completely? Could this problem be resolved with a new DVD writer?

Your advice/help is appreciated

Jakey boy 17:34 17 Aug 04

......I have also had problems since upgrading to MusicMatch 9. I am running it on win ME, and now my spyware program "PestPatrol" detects an "MM" file as a trojan. So, getting back to your problem, I think we can safely say there are problems with this new MusicMatch version, and you're right, there is not a lot of help from their tch support. But the problem is with MusicMatch, not your DVD unit. I would suggest uninstalling MusicMatch to see if that sorts the problem, and I wouldn't go to the expense of replacing your DVD burner, just for the sake of software incompatibility. Hope this helps?

Jakey boy 17:35 17 Aug 04

Tech support!!

TrustNoone 18:10 17 Aug 04

I have to say I have been happy with the MMJB service, but if I have to lose MMJB to maintain Win XP CDRW functions so be it.

I wonder if there are any MMJB afficiondos lurking with more helpful advice. Esp with the MMJB giveaway recently.

TrustNoone 18:43 18 Aug 04

Problem with F: drive is not resolved. Now I do not even have a viable CD writer, let alone DVD writer.

System restore next? Or while machine is still under warranty send it back to vendor.

TrustNoone 18:44 18 Aug 04

Problem with F: drive is not resolved. Now I do not even have a viable CD writer, let alone DVD writer.

System restore next? Or while machine is still under warranty send it back to vendor.

Jakey boy 18:08 22 Aug 04

Don't panic TrustNoone!! System restore may work, but no need to return machine to vendor. Ask for help here, it's less expensive and you usually get invaluable assistance. A wee bit of patience is all that's required.

JayDay 19:19 22 Aug 04

Try the musicmatch forum click here

TrustNoone 16:02 23 Aug 04

Thanks for word of caution. Since my last posting, I discovered 2 programs on the HP Software update page click here
and VERITAS module "drive letter access" at click here

This seems to be a satisfactory workaround for my problem. BUT since windows cannto "see" the RW drive, I cannot write VCDs and DVDs using Windows moviemaker etc.

So my question now is how does one reactivate the native Windows XP drive letter access function. Bear in mind my system restore utility does not seem to work!

TrustNoone 16:08 23 Aug 04

Thanks for the link - I will look more closely at the forum later this week. It only has 36 registered members - I wonder if it has the muscle to get musicmatch to look at the issue (if there is one)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 23 Aug 04

settings - control panel-admin tools - computer management- disk management - click on drive asign new drive letter and paths.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…