Music on a home LAN, complicating it!

Epirb406 19:18 24 Mar 05

Hi all, I may be missing something really obvious here or I may just not have the vocabulary to search and find what I want.

I shall leave out the whys and wherefores to get quickly to the point.

Three computers on a LAN. One has CD collection on HDD(XP). One is plugged into speakers(XP). I want to play the music from one on the other from a third(98).

Any clues? Am I talking streaming? Virtual Desktops? Virtual networks.....what am I talking about, you tell me!

Thanks all, Epirb.

powerless 19:49 24 Mar 05

Well if all computers can see each other?

Then that's good!

Point you MEDIA PLAYER in the direction of the computer with the music, you'll have to share the drive.

...it will then fly over the LAN and tunes will play.

What you playing music with?

Epirb406 19:57 24 Mar 05

Using a freebie Ejay Juke box program to play the music, came from PCA cover disk, love it because it just looks at directories and plays music without wanting to organise my music for me.

Also have Jet Audio and obviously WMP.

Now, am I being dense? The thing I want to do is control the PC plugged in to the speakers with the third PC, I can play the music over the LAN no probs, but controlling one from the other.....?

Thanks, Epirb.

Portly 20:01 24 Mar 05

Epirb406,
Make the folder holding your CD collection available to other LAN users, ie share this folder. On your receiving PC, open Media Player, and on Files Add files by searching computer, search the shared CD file. ( If you have a large collection it could take a few minutes )
All your music will then appear in the receive Media library and can be played over your LAN.

Epirb406 20:12 24 Mar 05

Gotcha, Understand that and can do that but I want to control the computer with the speakers from another PC.

IE, 1 pc with music, one with speakers and the third that I want to use to control what is being played.

Epirb.

Portly 20:17 24 Mar 05

Epir406,
Yes sorry, you added your second post as I was writing mine. Can't help with the third PC, but very curious as to why you would want to ........

Epirb406 21:48 24 Mar 05

Anyone any ideas?

Epirb.

Epirb406 22:38 28 Mar 05

allo

Epirb406 18:54 29 Mar 05

??

Yoda Knight 13:17 30 Mar 05

You'll need PC Anywhere, or VNC, or similar that will allow you to control the other machines desktop. They give you the same control as if u were sitting in front of the machine

Yoda Knight 13:19 30 Mar 05

click here for Real VNC (free)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…