Music Database

Terry Brown 14:11 31 May 04

I am loking for a program that will copy the title's of my CD's to a database,not the music itself, so when I am looking for a particular track,. I can go direct top the CD instead of searching them all (and usually finding something I forgot I had). Any Ideas

Taran 15:47 31 May 04

There are tons of cataloguing programs available. Some of the dedicated audio CD catalogue programs scan the CD and lift the title and tracklist from it to store in the database.

Some of the high end programs even allow you to scan the CD bar code and find its data from online sources for cataloguing, always assuming of course that you invest in a bar code scanner...

A few links to get you going:

click here

click here

click here

Taran 15:48 31 May 04
  Terry Brown 15:32 01 Jun 04

Thanks Taran for your help, unfortunately none of them will do what I require.I have a large collection of CD's,from where I have transferred my LP collection to CD and music is in the CDA format and none of the programs wil give me the title, only 'track 01.cda', track 02.cda etc

ton 11:35 03 Jun 04

The program in Tarans first link click here allows you to type in the artist and title, the program will then search for the tracks which you can then add to your database.

Taran 12:00 03 Jun 04

To be honest, if you have Microsoft Access then two of its wizard driven databases could easly be adapted to suit but you would need to enter eveything in manually. Access has a book and video collection personal database which can be slightly altered to more than do what you want. Other database programs have similar wizards for such tasks and one or two even have dedicated CD cataloguing wizards, if you don't kow how to design your own.

Since your collection is largely home grown you're not going to get an automated program that can lift information from a disk unless you put the information onto the CD when you burned it. So either way it looks like you will have to enter everything in manually or spend some time searching the web. You can search by album title and many online sellers feature tracklists of said albums. There is nothing stopping you from using the tracklists to generate your own database or enter the tracklists into one of the programs I linked to above.

An archiving program needs information entered into it somehow to work and this will either be typed in, copied from a tracklist or read from the CD direct. Most pressed CDs have readable information which can be used by archiving programs but, as I said above, unless you opted to add track data when you burned your disks (which is just as bad as manually typing everything into an archive database) there is nothing to read on the disks other track numbers.

I've just downloaded a nice little program called CD Catalogue Database 1.0.0 from click here

Another nice system known as JamTraker that works with Access is from a chap called Jason Boehm - you can find more details of this on his site click here

It costs $15 to register if you want to be able to alter the database to customise it to your own needs and already features a lot of bells and whistles. However, you are still left with no easy way to get the information in nless you plump for one of the more expensive product that features online tracklist import and other tricks. Id say you either have to do a lot of typing or pay out for something that has an easy and accurate import facility from online CD and album information repositories.

Terry Brown 21:30 10 Jun 04

Thanks Taran and Ton for your input, I was hoping to find a easy way( I'm a 2 finger typist), but thanks for the Access database tip, I will have to get busy.Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…