mup.sys error

Fatboy415 09:37 19 Aug 05

I'm banging my head against a brick wall with a mup.sys error on a Windows XP home PC.

In standard Windows mode the machine gets as far as the Windows logo with the horizontal bar running across the screen then suddenly the screen goes blank.

In Safe Mode it gets as far as loading Mup.sys then stops dead.

According to the web this appears to be a common problem with a 1001 possible remedies.

So far I have..
*Copied mup.sys across from a working machine - no good.
*Tried booting from the Windows CD to use the Recovery Console. Cannot get past Administrator password which I know to be blank, so no joy there.
*Taken the HD and installed in another PC to see if it would boot - same problem.
*Taken the HD and installed in another PC to backup all the data.

I use Bart PE so can boot the HD and see its contents, just cannot get it to boot normally. I have run CHKDSK with no problems reported.

I am fast running out of solutions and in the end most users on various web sites bite the bullet and format the HD which is the very last thing I want to do as the machine is used to run a small business and has very complicated Outlook settings.

Therefore my main question is with the HD connected as a slave in a working PC can I backup the Outlook settings (possibly sent and received emails as well) so that I can restore all the accounts once the HD is formatted?

Thank you for all replies as always.

Fatboy415

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…