multiple windows opening = virus?

Jacqual 17:39 26 Jan 09

My outlook express runs fine, and I have no problems with Internet Explorer/Google except very occasionaly when I click on a link (eg sales@....) pages start opening at a rapid rate. I whip out the lead to the modem and start deleting them - around 50 each time titled "no page to display - Microsoft Internet Explorer".
I have Norton with live updates, am careful with websites etc and have run a system scan which gave me an all clear. So is it likely to be a fault on my laptop, or a virus of some description that is lying undetected - or even something on the other website/system?

User-1229748 18:44 26 Jan 09

i would download,update and run malwarebytes and superantispyware and see what they findclick here

gazzaho 03:34 29 Jan 09

Following smackheadz advice would be well worth while but also, I've found that some links on sites can trigger a whole raft of pop-up windows, do you have pop-up blocker enabled in IE? Perhaps you turned it off at some point to download a file and forgot to turn it back on? Just a thought.

kindly 12:18 29 Jan 09

I had a virus back in July last year. It was called "vundo". It made IE open windows even when the computer was just sitting doing nothing. I scaned my system with Norton which never found it. I then used "Malewarebytes" which found and got rid of the problem. Been ok since. I dont know where it came from as I am usually pretty good at checking, but obviously not good enough. Hope this helps you.

VoG II 14:27 29 Jan 09
  Jacqual 19:09 05 Feb 09

Thanks VoG that is exactly it. There wasn't specific advice to cover Windows 2000 which I have,and the detail looked tricky. As it is not malicious and only happens occassionaly I will just leave it - and anyway I will be getting a new laptop soon which will have a different OS.
However I did download and run malwarebytes and superantispyware. Both picked up items, but superantispyware seemed to do a very thorough job and found 11 Trojans(same one I believe) and 1 Worm(this laptop now runs much better -I thought it was a bit unhappy for a few days before). So thanks everybody I think normal service has been resumed.....

User-1229748 20:25 05 Feb 09

glad sas worked well for you :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009