Multiple users on xp

Goodtime 09:10 23 Jan 04

how do i set my computer up so different user accouts can access the interet with out installing the software for each user? As if i was sharing folders?

Stuartli 09:15 23 Jan 04

Go to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections and open Networks Connections' Help section - you'll find all you need to know.

With every Microsoft product there is always a first class and comprehensive Help section; in this case it's a matter of knowing where to look.

Goodtime 09:20 23 Jan 04

Tried that cant find anything, just answers as if i were steeing up a network.

wildrover 09:44 23 Jan 04

If you go to control panel, user accounts, create new account. Each user will then be able to log on to their own windows space, complete with own OE and IE settings.

Goodtime 10:55 23 Jan 04

yeah but how do i get them to share the internet connection, and change permissions, cos all i seem to be able to do is either make them a guest, user or admin and i want them to get online without using admin. Do i have to install the software on each user?

rober32 11:59 23 Jan 04

On windows XP an administrator account must be connected to the internet 1st and then other users can access the internet.

wildrover 12:13 23 Jan 04

It shouldn't be a problem. I have user and adnmin accounts set up. Each of the three accounts has its own settings in Internet explorer and Outlook express, so they each access their own email, have their own home pages etc. This just happened automatically, all I had to do was input the account details in OE, set up home pages etc. in IE for each user. So, we all use the same ISP but have different email addresses. there is no need to install software for each user but you do need to set up each account as above.
One of the users does not have admin rights, she is on a 'limited' account.
Is this helping??

wildrover 12:16 23 Jan 04

rober32: I didn't realise that. We have BB so presumably that starts up auto. The limited account has no problem accessing the internet even when no else is logged on. maybe its a dial-up thing?

yvette-289759 12:31 23 Jan 04

I found all the previous responses really helpful, thankyou ! Having scoured the help issues on internet connection sharing within micrsoft, they outline that connection sharing clients cannot connect if using aol.7 as they dont support ICS...the host can though...dos this apply to aol8.0 (seeks other ISP!) this is enough to even further discourage me from them....or have I got the wrong end of the stick?!

wildrover 14:34 23 Jan 04

As I understand it: ICS is about connecting multiple computers over a network. Goodtime's question (I think) is about multiple users sharing one computer.
I'm afraid I know nothing about AOL (except, possibly, that I really don't like their patronising (IMHO) TV ads).

Stuartli 14:36 23 Jan 04

Again, using the Help and Support feature in XP, key in ICS and you will be greeted with a comprehensive menu on how to go about it.

But if you had an XP host computer and others connected to it using the internet on dialup, it would provide very slow surfing if there were two or more users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…