multiple spyware removers-compatibility ?

adenuff 23:23 07 Mar 05

Hello
Have been asked to look at my brothers pc as it is unstable at the moment. He has LOADS of spyware removers and AVG installed, up to date with all patches etc, do you think it could be due to too many spyware removers running?
List of applications:
CCLEANER
AVG
PAL SPYWARE REMOVER
NO ADWARE
ADAWARE SE PERSONAL
SPY VEST (??)
EMAIL WATCHER
XOFTSPY
SPYWARE BLASTER
WINDOW WASHER
SPYWARE DOCTOR
REGISTRY MECHANIC

phew!!

Running Winxp home.

Any ideas /advice appreciated, as usual!

adenuff

stalion 23:28 07 Mar 05

can not see a problem with what you have listed does he have anti-virus and firewall.
I would run a scan with this to check for problems
click here

JonnyTub 23:30 07 Mar 05

Start with the basics, check device manager for any prolems, then check the event viewer if your using xp.

adenuff 23:33 07 Mar 05

Thanks for that.
Yes he has AVG but no firewall, so I should tell him to disable the windows one and install, say, zonealarm?
I use A squared myself and find it to be excellent, but with all that other stuff, does he really need another????!!!And does he really NEED as much stuff as that?

adenuff 23:37 07 Mar 05

I asked him to check ctrl- alt- delet, ( he lives a long way away from me) and report what processes are using a lot of resources, he said system ( not system idle ) is 99%, and sometimes avgw.exe is up to 39%. Is this what you mean by event viewer? Sorry for ignorance. Yes he has xp home.

stalion 23:37 07 Mar 05

he needs a good firewall as important as your anti-virus software either your recommendation or this one is very good click here

adenuff 23:44 07 Mar 05

And what is "spy vest" do you reckon? I did a search and get conflicting advice, it may be part of "spyware doctor" ?

adenuff 23:58 07 Mar 05

ok, its "spyvest" no gaps, and it seems to be a legit prog.

adenuff 00:08 08 Mar 05

Ok found out about event viewer- thanks for that suggestion jonnytub. Will check it out.
regards
adenuff

bertiecharlie 00:27 08 Mar 05

Pal Spyware Remover and SpyVest are on this list. click here
No-Adaware used to be on the list. If these programmes have been removing things that they shoudn't then that could have contributed to the problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…