Multiple profiles using same outlook

johnn 09:45 17 Jul 05

My PC has 5 different profiles set up for the family members, outlook and email is in one profile and I would like to use this account for all users, at present I have to log out and log back in under the correct profile. I only want one inbox etc but to be able to see and use the account from all profiles.

alan227 22:28 17 Jul 05

Is this of any help.

click here

Danoh 22:56 17 Jul 05

JohnN I'm guessing that you are on Windows XP as you already has 5 User Profiles setup, and that you are using Outlook Express as opposed to Outlook which comes as part of the MS Office bundle of applications.

Its not clear what your current setup is and what you actually want so I will make a guess.

You have 5 email accounts which currently requires you to login to and download each account separately, from just one XP profile, presumably yours. You would like to do this without having to login to each separate account, but when there are any messages, they could be separated out for each individual email account holder to be able to see from their XP Profile, but only their own email and not others.

There are 2 parts to being able to do this: A) Download (& send) all email accounts. B) Filter out individual accounts emails into separate files which will only be seen by separate account holders.

A) It is easy to setup Outlook Express to include a selection of Email accounts for a single bulk Send/Receive-Download action.

B) It is possible to create separate main Folders which are separate Outlook Express email files. Then from each XP Profile, Outlook Express can be set to only use the relevant Outlook Express email file that is pertinent to that XP Profile family member.

Please confirm if this is the case for you, or else further comment may not be helpful.

Please confirm what your

johnn 19:59 11 Sep 05

Sorry for lack of detail, I am running outlook 2003. I want to access the same emails from multiple profiles.
At present since the email is set up in my wifes profile I have to log out of mine and in to hers to see our email. We only have one email address and both want to see all the emails but from our own accounts. This could extend to the 3 other users as well.
I hope this is clearer

johnn 20:00 11 Sep 05

Thanks for responses

Sorry for lack of detail, I am running outlook 2003. I want to access the same emails from multiple profiles.
At present since the email is set up in my wifes profile I have to log out of mine and in to hers to see our email. We only have one email address and both want to see all the emails but from our own accounts. This could extend to the 3 other users as well.
I hope this is clearer

Danoh 08:14 12 Sep 05

JohnN; much clearer now. What you are after could be possible although I've never tried it as all 4 of us have separate email addresses.

1) Create a new Outlook PST folder and stored under "All Users" rather than in the default location for each user profile.

From memory, I think each User profile's default Outlook PST file is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

To create a new PST file, open Outlook, click on Tools> Options> Mail Setup/Data Files/Add.

2) Change the delivery of your emails to your new PST folder. This is done within Outlook as well (can't remember exact location and steps for now). You will need to restart Outlook for this to take effect.

3) From each User profile, open Outlook and add an entry for your new PST file following the steps in 1) above. Also repeat the steps in 2) above for each User profile.

I have not checked out what conflicts this might cause personally, as we do not operate in the same manner as you wish to. But I would anticipate conflicts if one user is still signed on and have Outlook open/active, and you try to open Outlook from your own profile's sign-on.

Alternatively, if you have not set up password protection for your files, other Users Outlook could simply use the default Outlook PST under your Profile's Local Settings instead of creating a new PST file, as mentioned above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…