Multiple posts/threads.

Dorsai 18:48 26 Aug 04

click here

I have noticed over the last few days that multiple posting to threads, and in some casses, multiple threads seems to be on the increase.

While this is only a very minor glitch, and the cause may be many things, wouldn't it be a good idea if some method was developed to stop it?

As Pesala said, if a 45 second delay was introduced, someone clicking on 'post responce/begin new' twice by accident could not happen.

Or perhaps the web page could be very slightly re-designed. Once you have clicked on 'post responce/begin new', how hard would it be to make the pressing of the button not only send the post/new thread, but disable the button? That way you cant press it again, by accident, or on purpose, untill the page has re-loaded, with your post/thread now on it.

Perhaps if clicking on 'post response/begin new' caused the button to change, and say 'responce posted'/'starting thread', and not work ony more.

But as i know nowt at all about web page design, i have no idear if this is even possible, let alone how hard/easy it would be to do!

Dorsai 18:50 26 Aug 04

And this was supposed to have gone into speakers corner.

€dstowe 18:51 26 Aug 04

Or perhaps, even, if there wasn't the delay in the post going through - that would be even better.

The FE has said that things are going on to improve the speed of things on the site. I hope it takes place soon.

Dorsai 18:57 26 Aug 04

Yes, that would be the best possible solution.

But then if the delay does come back, at some unknown point in the future, we are back with threads like 'DVD rom' turning up 5 times, and any one of us posting the same reply 3 times.

Belt and braces, fix the delay, prevent Multiple posts?

CurlyWhirly 18:57 26 Aug 04

but even WITH these multiple postings and slow server responses surely you MUST agree that this forum is brill IMHO!
CW

Dorsai 19:01 26 Aug 04

Yes. Was not being rude about the fourums.

But if somthing is broke, you can either throw it away if you dont like it, or try and fix it if you do like it.

I like it, so was thinking of a potental fix.

watchful 19:10 26 Aug 04

I've made this mistake once but it's just a case of having the patience to wait, after clicking 'Post response', and resisting the urge to click it again because you think it hasn't gone, it usually has, especially when the site is busy.

CurlyWhirly 19:10 26 Aug 04

I was not saying you were being rude mate just that despite the current difficulties (which are hopefully soon to be resolved) this is my FIRST port of call when going online as I am a forum addict and the advice and help is top notch.

I agree with all the comments above to do with only being able to press the post response button once as this would surely put LESS load on the server?
CW

CurlyWhirly 19:13 26 Aug 04

don't forget when you post a reply to the forum that it generally only travels at 256 kb and not FULL speed as I am sure that most people know that broadband has a faster download speed than upload speed!
CW

Dorsai 19:19 26 Aug 04

Had not forgot..

ADSL

The A is Asynchronous. Not synchronised, or in this case, not at the same speed.

It was made this was as most users download far more then they up-load. so most of the bandwith is reserved for me to download on. (but i might not use the right jargon)

Forum Editor 19:24 26 Aug 04

and as I said elsewhere, there are other things going on behind the scenes which should help with page loading. The multiple posting bug is a nuisance, but we'll keep at it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…