Multiple OS on startup.

Wanderfly 09:07 17 Feb 11

Hi all

I've just done an XP to Windows 7 upgrade on my Vaio. I was looking forward to faster startups but am now presented with the black & white writing asking me to select which OS I want....Windows 7 or an older version (unspecified).

How can I get rid of the older option so it does indeed start straight up?

Thanks!

rawprawn 09:16 17 Feb 11

Start> Run> type msconfig and then hit Enter. Click on the Boot Tab, it will show both systems. Delete the old one. Reboot

Wanderfly 09:22 17 Feb 11

Thanks but the msconfig is only showing the Windows 7, and it's the default OS.

Strange!

rawprawn 09:30 17 Feb 11

In that case you need to edit the boot.ini file

click on start then click on run in the box type c:\boot.ini then press enter

before you proceedany further I urge you to back up the originial boot.ini you can do this making a copy of the the boot file

A notepad file opens and you will see boot loaders Delete manually that the entries you do not require dont want and then save the file ......

a typical single boot.ini reference will look similar to this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

the bold letter indicates the partition number.

rawprawn 09:34 17 Feb 11

That doesn't apply to windows 7, and I don't know how. It is something to do with the boot manager.

Im a diddy 09:58 17 Feb 11

use easybcd to remove the unwanted entry
click here

Wanderfly 10:21 17 Feb 11

All done, great!

As you said prawn, the boot ini is just for XP, it does give you a link to the Vista version, BCDEDIT.exe but as I'm running W7 that didn't work.

The Easy BCD is exactly what it says on the tin. Took seconds to load and seconds to delete the "rogue" OS.

Thanks v much.

Onto my next "problem"! See next post!

rawprawn 11:16 17 Feb 11

I'm glad that you are sorted, thanks for the feed back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…