Multiple 'My Documents' windows keep opening

Manic Hobbit 16:09 30 Oct 05

My Asus Laptop has recently started opening multiple windows for 'My Documents'. These windows open quicker than I can close them down and eventually cause the laptop to grind to a halt.

Does this sound like a virus or could it be problem with the keyboard? It does get a bit of a hammering from my son playing Runescape for hours on end, but I don't know of a keyboard combination which opens My Documents, if there is such a shortcut it may indicate which keys are 'stuck'.

Running ME, all updates applied, Norton AV 2005 does not report any virus activity. MS AntiSpyWare (Beta), Spybot, Spyware Blaster, AdAware are all installed, up to date and report no suspicious files or activities (hence thinking it may be keyboard problem).

Any ideas gratefully received, as the missus is going nuts as my son now uses her laptop for Runescape!

Cheers
MH

Curio 16:14 30 Oct 05

If you have a PS2 port,try an external keyboard and see what occurs

Manic Hobbit 16:22 30 Oct 05

Forgot to mention that it keeps turning itself on and then when shut down, turns itself back on and won't stop until the battery goes flat.

Splork 22:56 30 Oct 05

Get Filemon and Regmon from click here
- set them running and take a close look at exactly what is running to cause the problems you describe.
Filemon first, then Regmon if it reveals nothing.
Process Explorer from the same site would also give some clues as to what process is generating the windows.

Manic Hobbit 15:03 06 Nov 05

Having unplugged the mouse it now seems to be OK. I'll put it down to a dodgy bt of kit. It still turns itself on, but removing the battery stops that!

Thanks for the ideas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…