Multiple External Hard Drives

Greengage 15:15 19 Jan 07

This may be a very simple question. I am awaiting delivery of another external hardrive so that I can transfer the content of my existing smaller external hard drive to it. Can I have both of them installed at the same time by way of USB2 and then effectively drag and drop. If so, would they both need to be set as master?

PaulB2005 15:19 19 Jan 07

1) Yes
2) No. USB drives don't have Master / Slave settings.

terryf 15:19 19 Jan 07

Yes you can have more than one usb HD (I have 2). You can leave them connected but not switched on, when either is switched on, win 'finds new hardware', I think that mine are both set to master but 'suck it and see', what does it say on the enclosure data sheet?

Greengage 15:50 19 Jan 07

Thanks for your responses. I described my latest -to be received - purchase as ext hard drive but, like my existing one, I am acquiring a hard drive plus enclosure - it gives more flexibility that way. On my existing one, I have to set the jumper to master and hence my question relating to the setting on the new one.

PaulB2005 15:56 19 Jan 07

Greengage - ah then as terryf says set to Master.

Greengage 16:15 19 Jan 07

Thanks again.

Technotiger 17:05 19 Jan 07

Hi, I have two external hard drives, both permanently switched on, as is my PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…