Multiple E-Mailings

dave h 21:09 15 Aug 03

On Another thread, the Forum Editor posted -

"Forum Editor Fri, 15.08.03 | 09:09
............... As for your request viki, you've posted it in someone else's thread, but in any case don't do what you are planning to do.

Unless you know them, or they have previously indicated their willingness to receive unsolicited mail from you, what you intend doing to those 1000 people is classed as spamming, and you must not do it....."

I can understand that multiple posting can be considered Spam.

My Question is this.....How do People indicate that they are willing to recieve Mail from you??

I am WebMaster for an Ex Servicemens Association, and we have 75 members on the web. I recently sent an E-Mail to all our members, and was promptly accused by AOL of Spamming.

So how does one avoid this if one has a large membership on the Web???

xania 21:52 15 Aug 03

The only safe way, so far as I can see, is for you to ask them using non-electronic means. Our voluntary organisation has very large membership (4000) and all have been invited, by a postal notification, to supply their e-mail address so that we can send them a weekly magazine. They know why we want to have their e-mail addres, so sending out a single e-mail to 4000 mail boxes is not spam.

xania 21:53 15 Aug 03

Oh - yes - if you've got a web site, you can post a notice inviting them to ASK for the material - then its not spam.

dave h 22:10 15 Aug 03

Let me re-phrase this...

All the members have already given me their E-Mail addresses so that I can keep them in touch with the latest information on the association.

I HAVE their permission to E-Mail them.

How can this be indicated to the IP (in this case AOL) which rejected the E-Mail.

As an Aside, Only six of our members are actually on AOL all the rest are with other IP's, but it was suggested that I was Spamming!

DieSse 23:20 15 Aug 03

AOL seem to invent their own rules as regards spam. Tell them what you're doing is not, and threaten with some sort of action if they stop you sending legitimate emails again.

Forum Editor 08:30 16 Aug 03

an AOL problem. They have automatic filters that prevent mass-mailing, and to a degree I can understand why. They've had massive problems in the past, and as their customer-base consists largely of home-users they tailor their system accordingly.

Other ISPs, who understand and accept that business users will routinely send mail to quite large groups of people don't behave in the same way.

I suppose you could always break your list down into smaller groups, and send to them that way, but it does seem a bit of a long-winded way to go about it. You may have some luck if you follow DieSse's advice, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Sir Radfordin 09:35 16 Aug 03

Depends on how you are sending out the email but I think Outlook/Word XP will allow you to do a mail merge to email so you could do things that way. It will create one email per person (I think!) so you wouldn't be picked up as a spammer.

dave h 10:30 16 Aug 03

Thanks for the input.

DieSse - "Tell them what you're doing ..." - Small problem...you can't E-Mail AOL and get a Human response - all their responses are of the Form letter type. "Threaten them with some action" - that would be like taking a hazelnut to crack a sledgehammer!

Forum Editor - Agreed. It is an AOL Problem. I have broken the AOL members away from the main group, and this does seem to work, but as you say, it's long winded.

Sir Radfordin - Sounds interesting, any Idea of how to do that? I've not worked with Mail Merge.

DieSse 10:34 16 Aug 03
  Forum Editor 10:40 16 Aug 03

to send to groups of people - just create a group in the contacts folder - but mail sent this way will reveal all the recipients to each other (including their email addresses). There's a neat workaround if you have your own domain, or can create additional mailboxes with your ISP. What you do is address the mail to say, members @yourdomain.co.uk with a bcc copy to the group.

Outlook will automatically generate a separate copy of the email for each recipient, and none of them will see a list of the others. The original message will go to whoever collects mail for the members mailbox (you).

dave h 10:51 16 Aug 03

DieSse - I did try to contact AOl, and received a reply which at first glancce was a 'human' response, but when I read it more closely I realised that it wasn't as they had answered a different question to the one I asked. I replied to the 'human' and have had no further response.
Having said that, I may try your links and see what happens. Thanks.

Forum Editor - Unfortumnately, I don't have my own Domain.
I knew of the bcc: method, but surely that still does not hide the multiple addresses from the ISP's computer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…