Multiple Divx onto dvd

Simpsonleys 17:23 13 Sep 07

is it possible to re-encode divx to say vcd but then put them (say 5 or 6) onto a DVD - if so how do you do it? Or is there another alternative. I can convert divx to a single vcd - its just that it would be easier to have a number on one dvd.
Thanks in advance for any help

holme 17:52 13 Sep 07

Query: If you're putting them onto DVD, why first convert to the lower-quality VCD standard?

Suggestion: If you can transcode each file from DivX to the high-quality PAL MPEG2, you could then burn them all onto a 2-hour DVD. HTH.

eedcam 17:52 13 Sep 07

Try freebie dvd flick it allows multiple files
click here

Simpsonleys 18:36 13 Sep 07

does the conversion to mpeg 2 increase the file substantially and also how do you do it

Simpsonleys 18:37 13 Sep 07

thanks - will look into that

holme 18:46 13 Sep 07

Yes, MPEG2 will inevitably increase the filesize compared with VCD format but it ain't possible to predict by how much. It depends on the content. I can only suggest you 'suck it and see' to see whether you can get them all onto one disc.

Depending on the version of Windows Movie Maker (WMM) you have, it may be able to do the transcoding and burning. The Media Centre and Vista versions will be OK. But I don't know if WMM will accept DivX; if not, I'm sure someone can suggest the right codec for it.

Similarly, if WMM won't do the transcoding to MPEG2, again I'm sure someone can suggest a freebie (sorry I can't, we use VideoStudio for all editing and transcoding).

If you can't get all 5-6 titles onto a 2-hour DVD - does it matter if it runs to two? If so, you could set DVD-recording to LP - but in that case you might as well revert to VCD format and use DVD Flick to burn multiple titles.

eedcam 22:17 13 Sep 07

Why revert to vcd and then use dvd flick flick probably dose divx straight to dvd One could even burn to adisc image with flick then use shrink to trim the length to fit

holme 22:44 13 Sep 07

Fair comment. I was mixing up VCD with SVCD which is higher quality than LP standards (discussed at great length yesterday and still in my addled brain!)

So please disregard the final sentence in my previous post, sorreee...

Simpsonleys 07:53 14 Sep 07

I did a sample avi last night and it came out at just above 1Gb - I'm going to go with this - slightly less per DVD but not sacrificing quality

Thanks for help from everyone

eedcam 08:37 14 Sep 07

No prob Holme Simpson still think the easiest way to go is is several files direct to flick .If you are concerned about compression in shrink a commercial movie averages around 6 to 7 G/b and that can be squeezed on a single layer with no noticeable loss of quality

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac