Multiple copies of .jpg files in My Documents fold

bjay 21:30 23 Aug 03

When I scan various documents and pictures etc in JPG format, I place them temporarily in the My Documents folder. I can get as many as 23+ copies of each file appearing in this folder without having done anything except, perhaps, to email some of them as attachments. Last night I deleted over 2,000 of these duplicate files. Do I have a setting wrong or what? How can I stop it? Help please?

MichelleC 10:06 24 Aug 03

Go to Housecall (Trend) and do an online scan (disable current av).

BarryKeith 12:52 24 Aug 03

When you click on grapic files it is very easy to inadvertently make copies, it happens if you move the mouse a little as you click, you land up not only selecting the file but copying it as well.

bjay 00:43 25 Aug 03

Sorry, you'll have to spell that out for me - I just don't know what you are talking about.

BarryKeith - I don't think that's the reason.

Megatyte 02:48 25 Aug 03

Is there a variation in the names of these files(including the extension). I thought it was impossible to have more than one file of the same 'name.extension' in the same folder.

AH

MichelleC 08:39 25 Aug 03

It was only a long shot, but worth doing as it only takes 1/2 hour.

My son had a virus which would load lots of file icons on every bootup (with AVG installed). Only a virus scan with Housecall cured it.

hssutton 10:37 25 Aug 03

As BarryKeith says it is so easy to accidently make copies when trying to delete them, especially when using Win98. We need the info as requested by Megatyte.

bjay 11:04 25 Aug 03

Silly me - I deleted them all and the fault hasn't reoccurred yet. However, as I remember, the listing was something like

john smith (copy (6)) 1,267X680 JPEG Image.
The actual file extension is not directly mentioned. The "john smith" bit is in bold characters and the rest in normal.
I am running XP Home.

I don't think I could make ten or twenty copies by accident!

Thanks all.

p.s. What is Housecall?

MichelleC 11:46 25 Aug 03

It's here: click here

siouxah1 13:37 25 Aug 03

Did have a similar problem crop up with paint shop pro. The multiple copies seemed to be much smaller than original. Can't remember what file names they had. They occurred in all sorts of different folders.

Kept deleting them and eventually it stopped occuring. Never did get to the bottom of the problem. You are not alone. No virus or whatever found or removed.

Regards Brian j

hssutton 16:09 25 Aug 03

bjay

I have just created a number of copies accidently on XP Pro. I had just transferred a large number of images from my desktop to DVD, wanting to delete these images from my PC I highlighted them all, as I right clicked the mouse to bring up the delete function I got a copy of all my images. This is the first time this as happened to me using XPm but happened several times when using Win 98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017