multiple anti-virus/anti-spyware software?

david1980 10:21 28 Mar 06

I recently read somewhere that is a good idea to have more than one anti-spyware program on your computer! Is this true?

I'm about to purchase a new (and fairly expensive) PC and want to be extra sure i'm covered.

Also is there any point in having more than one anti-virus or fire wall program installed?

I was going to buy Bit defender 9 internet security package, after it got a great review in PC Advisor and a couple other online sites(it includes anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam and anti-spyware etc) is this sufficient to cover all areas?
does it cover adware? does adware come under the "spam" or "spyware" catagory?

lots of questions i know but any help would be appreciated!!!

Totally-braindead 10:54 28 Mar 06

This has been asked a lot, you can only have one software firewall, you can have as many antivirus programs and antispyware programs as you like BUT and this is important only one must be working at a time, if you install 2 anti virus programs and they are both working then they will conflict and either the computer will crash or lock up or viruses will get through. Better to have one of each and at least 2 for Spyware. The free ones are good enough theres no need to pay.

I use AVG anti virus and Zone Alarm Firewall and Adaware and Counterspy for the spyware, all of them free except Counterspy but its only about £10 a year.

rawprawn 10:58 28 Mar 06

Bit defender is a great program, adware comes under spyware not spam. Personally I use click here which is a similar configuration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5