Multi "RunDLL" prompts at startup prob

KorgY 23:13 06 Oct 08

Hello,

Jusy tonight, I seem to get about three RunDLL Dialog boxes when windos Vista (32) starts on my Vaiu laptop. Not sure what caused this. I've run Regcure, sptware D.R, Superanti spyware, and done a windows "repair". It won't System restore for some reason.

Prompts are a bit like the following: C:\windows\system32\vdghdnpj.dll, and two other of similar description.

TIA for any help on this.

KorgY

BurrWalnut 08:51 07 Oct 08

Have you had a recent infection?

If so, it sounds as though your antivirus/antispyware has removed the malware file(s) but not the reference that loaded them. You can remove the errors as below but not being able to restore the computer suggests you are still infected.

Remove the entry by clicking the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

In the right pane look for the dll name and if it’s there, right-click it and select Delete.

Repeat it for this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Repeat it for the other two dlls that are identified as missing.

If you can, create a system restore point before making the deletions just in case you have a problem.

KorgY 15:53 08 Oct 08

Thanks BurrWalnut,

Sorry didn't reply earlier, but been busy doing a format! (cheapest Anti-virus software available;))

There wasn't much data on my laptop, so thought it quicker to restore the whole system.

However, I will, (and have) book marked the info you posted should i get a similar prob, will refer to it.

I noticed a problem when going from McAffe (Sony's inbuilt Virus protector) to my Norton 360 Virus software. Maybe something got broke along the way. !

Thanks,

KorgY

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…