Multi File Naming WinXP

penny 13:32 07 May 04

Is there a way of adding a word to to the name of all files listed in Win Explorer. For example after downloading pictures from digital camera, how can I add the name of where they were taken, such as the name of a country to the beginning of the file name without having to do them one at a time. It would save me huggins of time. Thanks,

johnnyrocker 13:46 07 May 04

not too clued up on this but might you not have the facility to edit/name on camera prior to downloading.

johnny.

techpro 13:47 07 May 04

If you're using XP, just select all the image files, then right-click and select Rename, then type "new_name.jpg".

Alternatively, select them all and drag and drop them on to MultiRename, one of the Tech-Pro Utilities on this month's CD.

expertec 13:48 07 May 04

To mass re-name, select all the files you want and press F2, rename the one and windows will do all the others ;-)

-NickH- 13:50 07 May 04

I haven't got XP here, so I can't test it but I am pretty sure that if you highlight a selection of files and rename the first one to something like 'barbados1.jpg', the rest will automatically change to 'barbados2.jpg', 'barbados3.jpg'....

If you want something more sophisticated, there are thousands of bulk file renaming utilities available. Just search the net for 'batch file rename' or 'bulk file rename' Most are very cheap, if not free.

Hope this helps.

=Nick=

penny 13:52 07 May 04

Thankyou for your suggestions, I will go and try them out. Penny

penny 14:19 07 May 04

I thought I would work my way through your suggestions but I only got as far as techpro and it worked which is absolutely champo. Thanks to all from a very pleased Penny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…