Multi coloured vertical lines

saddog 16:55 27 Apr 07

Hi there , my laptop was working fine until on start up got normal screen but it had vertical multi coloured lines across whole screen. Then when it should go to windows start up screen I get nothing. Tried going into bios and starting in safe mode but same thing happened , also tried booting from cdrom from windows original disc but no joy there either. Could it be my graphics card has bit the dust or something else.

birdface 18:08 27 Apr 07

Hi try device manager make sure there are no exclamation marks against anything,Also check your screen resolution has not changed.

birdface 18:22 27 Apr 07

Try Control Panel.Display.Settings,Change your color quality to 16/bit Apply ok,While there make sure your screen resolution has not changed,If changing to 16/bit does not work go back to 32/bit.I think this is down to graphics,There has been one other with the same problem about 18 months ago,And I think the fix was to change the Monitor.

saddog 18:30 27 Apr 07

Hi again , I cant get into windows , all I get is blank screen when it should be windows starting and hence those things you,ve suggested are impossible ( I think ). Maybe I should take off my current operating system (wxp) and re-install it , would that work?

birdface 18:47 27 Apr 07

Oops sorry obviously did not read your problem correctly,Son has had something like the same problem as yourself,But he has a desktop,And although he still has lines going down his screen he has been unable to fix it properly,I thought it was the same problem as you have .His screen resolution keeps changing,And the only way he can view it was to change the resolution and going to 16/bit instead of 32/bit.I dont know if there is anything in the Bios that can help,I am sure someone will be able to help you and give you the proper advice.

birdface 19:06 27 Apr 07

click here Hi not you problem ,But just wondering if you could plug in to another Monitor to see if it worked.as suggested on here.

woodchip 19:13 27 Apr 07

When you press go, do you get anything on the monitor at all?

saddog 12:01 28 Apr 07

Hello again , I should just say that when I let the laptop try to start normally a screen comes up asking whether I want to start in safe mode etc etc , but the writing is all jumbled and there is what looks like exclamation marks ( ! ) all over the screen and even when I try to start in safe mode it still ends in a blank screen .

birdface 12:20 28 Apr 07

If you try it in last good configuration is it just the same.Looks like a repair job or reformat.Has it been keeping good time lately.

woodchip 20:04 28 Apr 07

Keep tapping F8 as computer starts, and try things from the list

saddog 10:11 29 Apr 07

I will try that tonight Woodchip although I'm begining to think it's a hardware problem. Also I think it's been keeping good time , this is first problem since I got it 2 years ago .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…