Much apreciated advice on PC build.

johnski15 20:34 PM 07 Dec 11
Answered

I am looking to build my own PC (for the very 1st time) and need some advice and input with regards to good value and performance.

I have been looking at a Palicomp i5 supreme (got awards and so forth, but some reviews say they use cheap HDD's and RAM) - which is the sort of PC I am aiming for - around £500-£600!

Basically, I will be using the PC for MS Office type operations and Web browsing...No gaming whatsoever.

However, I do want a fast machine as any form of waiting drives me nuts...my current PC is a 5 year old Packard Bell, Intel core 2 duo and is as fast as my Granddad (he's been dead 25 years!!) - It is taking an age to start up and web browsing is becoming slower.

I have done a bit of research and come up with this stuff...Please, let me know where to source these as cheap as possible...

1. Case and PSU:

Coolermaster Sileo 500 with Coolermaster GX 650W PSU: This is on Special offer on ebuyer at £95.78 - is this good value? I really like the look of this case; I also like the look of the much cheaper Coolermaster Elite 330 as well.

1. Motherboard:

Asus P8Z68-V LX (Have read Asus are bang on and are reliable - Do you recon that the onboard graphics will suffice for me?).

1. Processor:

I would love the Intel i5 2500....Cheapest place to buy? Do I need the i5 2500?

1. Processor cooling/Case cooling

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (maybe??). Case fans???

1. RAM (DDR3 1333MHz??):

I would love 8 GB (SPEED)! What brand??? Corsair??

1. Graphics Card:

Needed or not?

1. HDD

I would like 1TB SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 7200RPM 32MB Cache - Any recommendations?? (Seagate??)

1. DVD RW/Blu-ray:

Recommendations??

1. Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Full DVD version

Where to get this cheap??

Finally - do I need anything else?

I would really love some advice on this as I am a little nervous in attempting to build for the 1st time and want to get it right...and save some money in the process!

I am ok with tools...and have had a look on YouTube etc...So feel it is possible for me to do....and put in the components I want not some cheap it will do stuff!!

Many thanks in advance....John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:17 PM 07 Dec 11
Answer

MS Office type operations and Web browsing...No gaming whatsoever.

Your Intel core 2 duo should do that easily perhaps all you need is to clear out the rubbish to speed it up

But it sounds more like your hankering after a new machine :0)

ICF 06:31 AM 08 Dec 11

I have the coolermaster Elite 330 with the 2500k and the artic cooler freezer pro.The cooler and CPU work well together keeps it cool and not much noise.The case is a budget case but it does the job and looks ok for the money.It has plenty of room and positions for three cooling fans.Do you really need a blue ray player they are expensive compared to a DVD drive.

KRONOS the First 08:54 AM 08 Dec 11

Most important question to answer is what is your budget?

johnski15 20:07 PM 09 Dec 11

I've got approx £500 to spend.

johnski15 20:11 PM 09 Dec 11

Fruit Bat:

Your Intel core 2 duo should do that easily perhaps all you need is to clear out the rubbish to speed it up

But it sounds more like your hankering after a new machine :0)

Can you please advise me on what I can 'clear out' of my system without any detrimental effect.

I bascially use MS office, picassa, Web browser...Done!!

Many thanks, John

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…