MTU ? Accessing sites

Furkin 16:40 27 Jan 08

Hi,
I was watching a post by Bobba Jobba re accessing certain click here.
Technotiger suggested looking at the MTU bit.
As I sometimes can't access sites using links on these pages, I was wondering if it was a similar problem.

I followed the MTU route, or was trying to, but when I bring up the 'settings' box on the MTU page, I don't have ANY readings.

I then followed the DOS / ping routine & mine is supposed to be o.k at 1472 and 1448.
It still dosn't show up in the MTU page.
Have I done something wrong ?
Should I put 1448 in the box ?
Would this help my getting the links (that only sometimes fails) ?

thanks all

Dipso 17:28 27 Jan 08

Are you using DrTCP to change your MTU?

If so you need to enter your optimal MTU into the relevant box after selecting your network adapter from the dropdown list.

Then click Save and reboot the PC and retest.

Adjusting your MTU may or may not resolve your issue but providing you use the correct value it should improve your download speeds in any case.

Furkin 18:57 27 Jan 08

Thanks Dipso,
Yep - I used Dr TCP,,,, but I was expecting to see 'something' in the box.

If it causes a problem - i have no value to put it back to.
Any ideas ?

silverous 19:49 27 Jan 08

If you can't access sites at all I'm not sure MTU will be the problem, although I recently helped a colleague solve a problem he had with poor performance of sites using TalkTalk due to them requiring a specific MTU, there was a help page on their site about it. Who is your ISP?

Dipso 21:12 27 Jan 08

If you see no improvement after tweaking with DrTCP you simply blank out the boxes, Save, then reboot and the settings go back to default.

Alternatively, I find TCP Optimizer is fairly easy to understand and will calculate optimum RWIN, MTU values for you click here

woodchip 21:42 27 Jan 08

Try MTU at 1432

Stuartli 23:29 27 Jan 08

That only normally applies to AOL and TalkTalk - the Windows Default figure is 1500, although a figure in the 1470s is more common.

Running DrTCP (TCP Optimiser) from the Largest MTU tab two or three times will indicate the correct MTU; this can then be entered into the General Settings tab>Custom Settings and Enabled/Saved.

woodchip 16:46 28 Jan 08

No DSL should be above 1492 as it will stop it working

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5