mswinsck.ocx

phaeton 14:53 21 Dec 03

or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered a file is missing or invalid.

I get this error when I boot to Win98 on a machine that has XP but has now decided it won't load XP - get blue screen C0000218 hive file - \systemroot\system32\config\software corrupt absecnt not readable

any suggestions - been having all sorts of issues for the last week since I put this machine together (stems from trying to use an old conficured drive in a brand new machine as well as installing new one I suspect!)

as ever your thoughts appreciated

Lozzy 15:31 21 Dec 03

insert the XP CD then click on start>>run and type sfc /scannow

See if that cures your ales

Gongoozler 15:33 21 Dec 03

Is this any help? click here

and this click here

phaeton 17:35 21 Dec 03

meanwhile things have now got a whole load worse!
brief history (last 2 hours) -
Background - I have a 25Gb Fat32 formatted drive that had 98SE on it and then had XP added. |Was partitioned C: and D: but things got a bit mixed up. All ran OK until I decided to upgrade PC - er the only thing that remained was the Floppy drive and the hard drive.
As I have a 98se disk/licence, and an XP upgrade disk/licence I decided to leave the old HD in and lo and behold it booted from it and off we went until the probs above.
Am now messing around having done a fresh install to the new drive - because 98 won't go onto ntfs, and dos doesn't see it, I am having some probs! Disconnecting my old drive after the installation also causes complete screwup even reseting bios/boot.
Ah well - will come back when I understand my next question!

VoG II 17:39 21 Dec 03

Read NTFS disks from DOS click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…