msvcr80.dll missing file error

Boy Zone 09:38 17 Oct 10

Hi,
Just turned on my pC and found the error message missing msvcr80.dll files.

How do I cure this? I did a search and all suggested I run some register checker which I did and to resolve this they then ask you to buy their software.

Surely there must be a way to resolve this free???

I'm running XP, and I have tried a restore point but no luck.

VoG II 09:54 17 Oct 10

Try SFC /scannow click here

tullie 10:06 17 Oct 10

This any good? click here

iscanut2 10:18 17 Oct 10

Or this click here

northumbria61 13:24 17 Oct 10

See here - click here with this warning -

Important: Do not download msvcr80.dll from a "DLL download" website. There are many reasons why downloading a DLL file is a bad idea. If you need a copy of msvcr80.dll, it's best to obtain it from its original, legitimate source.

northumbria61 13:30 17 Oct 10

"I did a search and all suggested I run some register checker which I did and to resolve this they then ask you to buy their software "

I am pleased to see you didn't use that option.

This is a description of it - msvcr80.dll is a process associated with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 from Microsoft Corporation.\r It is the Microsoft C Runtime Library and is used by programs written with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
It is not a critical component.

You haven't said whether it is affecting any of your applications or it is just an annoying error message that is popping up ?

northumbria61 13:45 17 Oct 10

There is more information about what it is here - click here

Some malware camouflage themselves as MSVCR80.dll, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the MSVCR80.dll process on your pc whether it is pest.

Have checked my "system 32 " folder and my "SysWOW64" folder - (I am running Windows 7 64 bit)
and I have similar MSVCR---- etc. all of which point to Windows Media Player.

Hope this helps

northumbria61 13:46 17 Oct 10

Try running "Malwarebytes" to see if it picks up on anything.

northumbria61 13:55 17 Oct 10

Ahh ! we may be getting nearer a solution -

Assuming your windows is installed in c:\windows
Find the dll on your computer and copy it in the windows\system32 folder.
Open a command prompt and type CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 (if not already there)
REGSVR32 MSVCR80.DLL

Or alternatively download and install this from Microsoft - click here

northumbria61 14:04 17 Oct 10

Further - I have just typed MSVCR into my "search" box (start-search) and it gives me a list of All my MSVCR dll's - clicking on the one that you refer to OPENS iTunes.

northumbria61 23:23 17 Oct 10

Boy Zone - it would have been nice to know (for the benefit of all) just how you "resolved" this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…