msrexe.exe - Trojan? Virus?

Lermontov 10:58 05 Aug 03

I've had problems with my computer logging on every fifteen minutes or so of its own accord.

I've isolated it to msrexe.exe according to Zone Alarm Visual Zone; msrexe.exe seems to be a spin off from the SubSeven Trojan from what I can gather in doing a web search and is not a Windows program according to the info.

I deleted a file with that name but there's an executable when you do the file and folder search (by typing c:\windows\msrexe.exe) that cannot be removed. Can it safely be removed from Windows XP without it seriously affecting anything?And how? neither Norton Anti-Virus or a couple of Trojan zappers I downloaded recognized any problem on my hard drive.

Is there a quicker way to remove it - ie workable software - other than manually (the instructions for that are quite horrendous looking at some of the sites I have been to and mean messing about in the registry which I am reluctant to do without any real expertise).

Although I've set Zone Alarm to block it from accessing the net, it still seems to do so.

Big Elf 11:03 05 Aug 03

I found this from Google click here

JoeC 12:38 05 Aug 03
  Lermontov 20:14 07 Aug 03

Thanks for the input, much appreciated, but it's what I've found myself, too. I am unable to follow those instructions, they are beyond my expertise and although I can find the program by doing a file and folder search I cannot locate any of the things they say I can by following the instructions. Is there no software that can remove this bloody thing? Neither Norton nor two trojan zappers I downloaded picked it up and it was only by seeing a message about msrexe.exe when I blocked my computer from logging on without me asking it to that I found it out. Aaaargh!

VoG II 20:20 07 Aug 03

Have you tried The Cleaner click here

The Sack 22:25 07 Aug 03

or even the wonderfull Trojan Remover click here

Lermontov 08:44 08 Aug 03

Once again, thanks for the input all. I've downloaded Cleaner 3, Anti-Trojan Shield and Trojan Cleaner and got updates for them all, run them all and none pick up msrexe.exe which is undoubtedly on my system when I do a search and keeps trying to access the Internet every fifteen minutes - Zone Alarm Vusual Zone tells me so. In fact, no sooner had I run one of them this morning and the scan ended that the bloody thing kicked in again and tried to log on. I just cannot fathom this. There's obviously a trojan dialler on my system, msrexe.exe but nothing picks it up. Could it be because any files that may have carried it - I can isolate the date of it beginning to 28th July onwards - I deleted. I've been downloading lots of LotR and Morrowind pictures, a good many from unofficial sources, but deleted them all from that date onwards when the problem began. Yet the executable msrexe.exe still sits on my system.

And while I'm at it, what on earth is 'mirosoft' which is also on my system when I do a registry check?

This is a painful lesson to learn about not having enough protection - Zone Alarm, Norton Anti-Virus, they're not enough. Also need spyware, cookie blockers, at least two anti-virus and firewall programs and of course anti-trojan software and update it all almost daily!!!!

Lermontov 09:16 08 Aug 03

Problem Solved? I located msrexe.exe in c:\windows\system32 - did a scan with Trojan Cleaner - said it didn't seem suspicious, asked me if I wanted to rename and thus disable it - which I did - to msrexe.ex$ then no sooner had I finished doing this than it attempted to log on again. Went back in, deleted the thing entirely (it has only been active on my system since 28th July so how could it hurt to delete it when my PC has run fine without it for over a year?) now all I have to do is log-off and wait until the thing does or does not try and log on again - fingers crossed.

Jester2K II 11:05 08 Aug 03

click here

You ought to zip the file up and use a passwrd. Then sent it to your Av vendor and ask why it was not detected...

Lermontov 17:42 10 Aug 03

Seems I've got rid of it, or rather Trojan Remover has. As I said, located the executable file with TR (not Trojan Cleaner as I wrongly posted above) and deleted it, since then have had no problems, no logging on without me asking my PC to do so myself. But it does make me wonder why all that stuff about re-editing the registry etc. was really necessary when all you - it seems - had to do was locate the offending blighter with a decent trojan scanner (Trojan Remover - thanks Sack) and get rid of it.

Now I can work in Word and slaughter a few more goblins in the sewers of Mournhold in Morrowind without those b****y interruptions anymore...I hope! Thanks for the input, everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…